Carvin VLD1 Legacy drive pedal

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski

So basically this is a Legacy 3 in pedal form? Or am I off the mark there?

$499, so you could buy 2 Fly Rigs for that, or a Fly Rig and a Power Engine (powered speaker cab) for that kind of moola.

Steve Vai using one:

Sorta like it for what it is. I find the price actually pretty good. I'd like to actually see an in depth review where they're not trying to sound like ass on purpose.

The price made sense after I saw a gutshot on the Carvin site and realized that this uses two 12AX7 tubes instead of one tube and a solid-state overdrive circuit. The demo made the rhythm playing sound too mallcore for my taste, but when he kicked in the lead tone it was excellent.

They should do a bigger version of this that includes a power-amp chip, cab sim, and effects loop.

Carvin corp demo w/ the guy playing a Gibson?
:hmm:

1st vid: Clean tones were meh Drive tones eh. Solo sounded like it has some delay on it.
While it has tubes being used in some capacity, it's a battery powered pedal... so unless the Legacy runs on a couple duracells, it's not the same circuit

I was a tad bit intrigued until I saw the price. I could get a V3m head for about $60 more from their site :shrug:.

The VLD1 Legacy Drive Preamp does not run on batteries, only AC adapter.
The tubes are run at full plate voltage, using the same circuit as the same as a Legacy amplifier's preamp
The Phones/Cab Voiced out jack has cab sim.

Output jack > effects > amp with guitar speaker
-or-
Phones/Cab Voiced out > effects > whatever.

carvinimages.com/documents/guitar-amps/LegacyDriveVLD1_manual.pdf

Carvin corp demo w/ the guy playing a Gibson?

Carvin guitars are now Kiesel run by head douchecanoe Jeff Kiesel who will tell you that the color you want is wrong and he'll ship you whatever he feels like shipping you while charging extra.

So, Carvin amps probably flipped Jeff the bird.

Back