Cars you miss owning, post yours. (In honor of Mark's truck.)

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis.

LOVED driving this car long distance. Looked like a cop car. Was like driving a couch. Truly a great v8 engine. Absolutely AWESOME road-trip car. You get that bitch up to speed, and there's no stopping it.....lol.....sipped gas at about 75-80 mph.
mercury.jpg

I have more to post, but this one sprang to mind. Mine looked just like this, down to the stock rims. Road-trip central!

Not many cars you could get away with whitewalls on these days. I think this might be one of the last of 'em......I can't remember if I had whitewalls or not, to be honest. It was an extremely comfortable ride.

Got rid of it when I moved up to NH (5 years ago). Wouldn't have done well in the snow, on a mountain during a snow-storm. Trust me.....wouldn't have done well.

But I miss it for long distance trips.

Last edited:
1985 Mazda RX7 -4 barrel version of the 13 b (I think?) Wenkel engine.

Go-cart like a bat outta hell.
Best and truest way to describe it.

@OGG can vouch. Mine looked just like this, but I didn't have a sunroof.

rx7.jpg

Those are stock rims people, and I want it back. Also.....he put exhaust tips (chrome) on there, that wasn't factory.
But MAN, what a lot of fun to drive!

It had a 4th pedal (up against the firewall of the car,,,,,,so you had (from R to L)......gas, brake, clutch, and then another pedeal, mounted down through the frame.
It was so you could lean your weight onto that pedal with your left foot (oh, I did this many, many times.....) and cause the front driver's wheel to grip more, (lean into the turn, literally!) which would basically whip the ass end of the car around, and then you could drive it sideways.

It was like a go-cart on steroids.

It was sort of unsafe, to be honest. But MAN, was it a lot of fun!

Miss that car. A LOT, actually.

Occasionally miss the pickup truck I drove as a teenager, but I'd probably hate it now.

Otherwise, no real sentimental attachment to automobiles. I want comfort, space, safety, and reliability.

i-2_B_L.jpg

I really liked this car. I put a fancier interior from a dead Grand Wagoneer in it to replace the bench front seat that bounced you through the roof. It was manual everything. Best washboard dirt road car I have ever ridden in. Could cruise those roads at 35 if it was not too curvy and feel smooth as silk, tracking wonderfully. Great for mountain biking and accessing trails and camping. Oh, and I also really enjoyed being able to freshen up the paint with a rattle can of DeRusto Silver whenever I wanted.

Last edited:
I have 3 that I miss. My first care was a '65 convertible Mustang that my grandfather bought for me when I was 5 or 6. He kept it in a garage until I got my learners permit. In the summer, I miss my Jeep Wrangler, nothing like driving around with no doors and the top off. And last, the old family Chevy Luv truck. It was the biggest POS, bright yellow with rust everywhere, gas gauge and speedometer didn't work. The side mirrors were duct taped on and sometimes everything electrical in the car wouldn't work, but I still loved it. It looked a lot like this one.
luv.jpg

Oh man! I could use all of Mark's bandwidth posting about the cars I once had and now miss owning.

Right now, the one that haunts me the most is my Black on Yellow 1976 FIAT X1/9 that I bought in '88 with less than 1K miles on it after it had been in (proper) storage for 11 years. Not a scratch, ding, rip, tear, crack etc to be found anywhere on that car.

As it got harder and harder to find a reputable source for parts and maintenance, I let it go.

Terrible mistake. I had others after that (in the 90s), but none were even close. You couldn't give them away by then, in fact, my last X1/9 was given to me for $1, running and with a clean title.

Now, a roadworthy example in good shape can fetch up to $10K.

I already posted my sad car list in Mark's thread, so I'll post this one I found on web, my oldest daughter's first, which might as well have been mine, as I spent a ton of time on it. It's long gone, Katrina drowned her.
1984-toyota-celice-convertible-1.jpg

Hers was identical in every way.

This was my first car. Don't get me wrong it was a beat up second hand car when I got it. I barely had it long enough to take a picture so here's a google image.

View attachment 35132
I've been looking at a 63 Midget lately. I keep telling myself I don't have time to restore one but I keep looking for it every time I go by it's home. Wasn't there today but every time it's going to rain the guy moves it inside. No sure why, there are plenty of drain holes in the floor. Driver's side is more drain hole than floor.

My first car was a '72 Javelin.
Loved that piece of carp.
My '69 Chavelle was the one though.

Back