Carr Rambler troubleshooting...pretty loud hum. any thoughts?

Guitar Heel

Demented Trick
So, when my Carr is on Pentode Mode (28 watts), there's a pretty loud hum that is unchanged with the guitar is plugged in or not. It's still there on Triode mode, but not nearly as loud. I've tested the amp all over the house, and it's the same. I also tested 3 other amps at the original outlet, and they were all fine.

Could this be a tube issue? Maybe something more involved? Any advice on a next step would be greatly appreciated. :thu:

It is because Carr Ramblers suck. Very noisy amps. So I'll tell you what I can do for you. Just ship the Rambler to me and in exchanges I will ship you my marvelously quiet Vox AC15C1X in exchange. It is a burden I am willing to accept as my own.....

It is because Carr Ramblers suck. Very noisy amps. So I'll tell you what I can do for you. Just ship the Rambler to me and in exchanges I will ship you my marvelously quiet Vox AC15C1X in exchange. It is a burden I am willing to accept as my own.....
:grin:

Take one of your guitar cables, touch one end to a chassis screw on the bacl panel and the other end to the screw between the outlets on the wall...if the hum reduces or goes away it's most likely a grounding issue...

Let me know...

I've read that poorly balanced/matched power tubes can cause this kind of thing, as can issues with the screen grid and suppressor grid resistors (which are only active in one mode and not the other). This is just stuff I read online, and I have no idea about electronics in general, or Carr specifics, so keep that in mind when considering this info.

Perhaps more pertinent, I've heard Carr actually answers emails about issues with his amps through his webpage 'repair' contact. Maybe he can set you right.

http://carramps.com/contact

My first step with amp noise is turn it on with no cord plugged in. Then try another outlet. If it still is noisy, I start swapping tubes.

If your other amps are fine in that outlet, with that cable and guitar then it's most likely a tube issue.

How old are the tubes?

Thanks so much guys! I've been working non-stop the last 2 days and haven't had time to,start experimenting yet. I'll do that tomorrow. As for the tube age, I bought is used so no clue...

Back