Carnitas recipe

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
As promised, here it is. One of my favorite things to cook and eat these days.

The end product is basically a taco filling. Usually served with corn tortillas and chopped raw onion and chopped cilantro, but obviously you can do whatever you want with it. :wink:

• 1 onion, diced
  • 6 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 2 cups chicken stock, pork broth or water (I use chicken stock)
  • 12-oz coke
  • several sprigs of fresh thyme and sweet marjoram or 2 teaspoons toasted Mexican oregano
  • 4 bay leaves, toasted
  • 6-8 whole allspice or cloves
  • 1-2 canela (cinnamon) sticks
  • 1-2 chipotles en adobo, chopped
  • 5-7 lbs pork shoulder or similar, cut into fist-sized chunks
  • salt & pepper
  • 4 tablespoons manteca (pork lard)
  • 2 sm oranges or tangerines
  1. In a heavy roasting pan or dutch oven, place the onion, garlic, broth, cola, herbs, and canela, mix to combine.
  2. Season the meat with salt and pepper, and brown in the lard in a hot skillet.
  3. Place the meat in the roasting pan along with the whole oranges, spooning liquid over the top to coat it.
  4. Bake at 350 F, loosely covered, checking occasionally to make sure there is still some liquid. If it starts to get too dry, add some more broth or water. Turn the meat halfway through cooking. Bake 3-4 hours until the meat is fall-apart tender.
  5. Remove the meat and let it cool a bit, then shred with a fork.
  6. Cut the (slightly cooled) oranges in half and squeeze the juice into the pan.
  7. Remove the canela, bay leaves and herbs. Return the shredded meat to the pan and mix with the juices.
  8. Raise oven temp to 400, then bake, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is absorbed and the meat is well browned (could take up to an hour).

My recipe costs a bunch more, but it's all I got:
  • one street legal vehicle
  • one debit card or substitute with cash
1. Enter vehicle.
2. Drive to one of several favorite Mexican restaurants.
3. Order carnitas dish.

mexican.gif
:helper:

1. Enter vehicle.
3. Order carnitas dish.

mexican.gif

Works with barbacoa, too! :)

Reactions: Tig
1. Enter vehicle.
3. Order carnitas dish.

mexican.gif

That works in some places but not around here. We have several very mediocre Mexican joints but none that are memorable or great.

5 - 7 pounds?

I'd be eating carnitas for 3 weeks. I love carnitas, but not that much. When I do cook them, using a pre-packaged sauce, I get a 2-pound roast and it lasts me all week long.

5 - 7 pounds?

I'd be eating carnitas for 3 weeks. I love carnitas, but not that much. When I do cook them, using a pre-packaged sauce, I get a 2-pound roast and it lasts me all week long.

It freezes well :grin:

It is like a big smoke - if you are making the effort, may as well make a lot.

I actually do more like 3.5-5 lbs. It depends on the size of your roaster more than anything- you want the chunks of meat to fit snugly, but not be too crammed in there.

Not a bad recipe, but we do it a bit different. Start by dry rubbing the pork with something tangy, then put on the charcoal grill with indirect heat for an hour or so. Then it goes in the roasting pan and continues along the lines of your recipe. After shredding, add a fair amount of the liquid back into the shredded meat. Heat up a cast iron pan and add oil, and add the moistened meat and fry till slightly crispy. make soft tortillas and fill with the carnitas.

1. Enter vehicle.
3. Order carnitas dish.

mexican.gif

I know that recipe and execute it every so often.

Reactions: Tig
Back