Car repair mojo.

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
Clutch needs replaced and there's a good chance the brakes will need to be too. AC is on the fritz, but they haven't even gotten to it yet. Gear budget dwindling, dwindling, gone... :cry:

Right now we're looking at $1kish, 120,000 miles. Don't know about AC yet or brakes/belts/etc...

On the AC front, they make new refrigerant in a can type of stuff that seals small leaks.
Works great, you can do it yourself, and it costs around $20-$25 a bottle.

Fixed my old Explorer's AC, and recharged my Jaguar's AC to make it cold again.

It is a universal connector, so as long as your compressor isn't physically bad, it's worth a shot.

(If you turn on the AC, and you hear it start to spin up, it's probably good!).

Brakes are easy to fix (generally) unless you've completely hosed the rotors/calipers, etc....
You do have to have a good set of tools, some jack-stands, a C-clamp, etc....though.
The only problem is,,,,once you take it apart, if you need a part, you're screwed if you don't have another ride down to the auto parts store.

On the AC front, they make new refrigerant in a can type of stuff that seals small leaks.
Works great, you can do it yourself, and it costs around $20-$25 a bottle.

Fixed my old Explorer's AC, and recharged my Jaguar's AC to make it cold again.

It is a universal connector, so as long as your compressor isn't physically bad, it's worth a shot.

(If you turn on the AC, and you hear it start to spin up, it's probably good!).

Brakes are easy to fix (generally) unless you've completely hosed the rotors/calipers, etc....
You do have to have a good set of tools, some jack-stands, a C-clamp, etc....though.
The only problem is,,,,once you take it apart, if you need a part, you're screwed if you don't have another ride down to the auto parts store.

I have neither the tools not the know-how to do brakes. Nor any sort of car anything.

car mojo.

why the heck is it that when you've finally got a few extra $$ and are looking at some new gear (or other stuff), the damn car acts up and hoovers up yer $$?
how the hell does that work......every time??

I also just broke my iPhone. Slipped out of my bag, landed on a rock and KABLOOEY!

Seriously, fuck this day so fucking hard.

car mojo.

why the heck is it that when you've finally got a few extra $$ and are looking at some new gear (or other stuff), the damn car acts up and hoovers up yer $$?
how the hell does that work......every time??
Karma's a spiteful bitch who hates us all...

1k for the clutch?

That's probably about right.

Hell, 6 or 7 years ago we had the clutch replaced in the Stratus and I think it came to $1100. That was for a master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch plate, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and flywheel installed at a chain transmission shop. Yeah, parts are only a few hundred bucks, but getting to the clutch, especially on a FWD vehicle, takes some time.

I've always done the clutches on my trucks myself, but when I popped the hood on the Stratus and saw what a nightmare it was going to be to get to the clutch, I gladly paid the money to have it done at a shop.

For the brakes, if you can make it to WV, I'll help you replace them. Shops always rip you off on brakes. It's an easy job, and parts are fairly cheap.

It's appreciated, but unfortunately I can't make it to WV. Part of the reason I had to get all of this taken care of this week was Kaitlin and I are headed to Nashville next weekend; even if I just replace the clutch I probably won't get it back until Monday. It's just been a really, really expensive/bummer of a month and it's only the 2nd. :(

On the positive side, Luigi and I can't wait for Pragestock! :)

Mojo. Yeah, a clutch on a FWD can easily run over a grand. I did one on my old car, and the official shop manual listed it as like 7-8 hours of labor just to get to the clutch and then put it back together. The parts are not cheap, especially as you might as well replace all the stuff Prages listed while you have it apart.

Woohoo, thanks for the mojo! Got some good news... brakes, hoses, plugs, and everything else is all fine! It's still not warm enough to take a look at the end AC yet, but I'm relieved there was nothing else major wrong! :)

For the AC, I'd try the recharge bottle from a parts store first.

Unless there's a leak or the compressor is bad, that would probably fix it for under $30.

For the brakes, if you can make it to WV, I'll help you replace them. Shops always rip you off on brakes. It's an easy job, and parts are fairly cheap.

Where were you last week when I dropped $550.00 on a brake job? Of course I would have spent probably $300.00 on gas. And still ended up cheaper.....

And mojo Kerouac. Car issues seem to be the thing right now. A good friend just had to replace her radiator on Monday.

Back