Car of the Week: 1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe

Someone in the neighborhood still has one of these.
0505_17z%2B2002_chevrolet_dale_earnhardt_monte_carlo%2Brear_side_view.jpg

:facepalm: I'd be embarrassed.

I saw an old 442 from about that time period the other day.

442, yeah it was fast.....compared to turds like the car in the OP.
Even today,,,,,,that 442 car would get blown off the line by almost anything new.

Hell, my new Toyota pickup truck has 318 HP in a smaller engine than the POS pushing 180 hp in the OP.

Fucking junk.

Man, you guys are all missing the point.

Think back to when that car was made. It was about having the windows down, mullet blowing in the breeze, Ratt blaring from the cassette deck, looking for a hot babe in an acid washed denim skirt with sprayed-up hair.

Man, you guys are all missing the point.

Think back to when that car was made. It was about having the windows down, mullet blowing in the breeze, Ratt blaring from the cassette deck, looking for a hot babe in an acid washed denim skirt with sprayed-up hair.

You do have a point there....

I saw an old 442 from about that time period the other day.

442, yeah it was fast.....compared to turds like the car in the OP.
Even today,,,,,,that 442 car would get blown off the line by almost anything new.

Hell, my new Toyota pickup truck has 318 HP in a smaller engine than the POS pushing 180 hp in the OP.

Fucking junk.

The 442 of that era was also a POS (and there is one of those in my development....I think there are probably a lot of dokken cassettes in my 'hood still). The Grand National & GNX was the only G body cars worth owning from that period, IMHO

The engine's specialty was low- and mid-range torque, giving a satisfying push off the line but not too much after that. In 1985, the 4-4-2 was on an even horsepower footing with the Monte Carlo SS, with its 305-cu.in. L69 V-8, and gave up 20 horsepower to Buick's Regal Grand National, powered by a 3.8-liter Turbo V-6. But you wouldn't know it from Car and Driver's July 1985 comparison of the three G-bodies. The 4-4-2 managed 0-60 in 9.1 seconds, well behind the Grand National's 7.5 seconds and the Monte Carlo's 7.8 seconds. Things didn't improve further down the road, either: 100 mph came up after 31.3 seconds, while the Grand National and the SS turned the trick in 22.9 seconds and 25.6 seconds, respectively. The king of the drag strip it was not.
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2006/05/01/hmn_feature11.html

On several occasions I was involved in comparison driving while out in the Jag. Everytime it was a guy in a Monte Carlo with a #3 sticker on the window. Not the same guy(or maybe it was and he just had a lot of cars). Everytime it ended badly for the Monte. There was just something about a Monte Carlo that made people think the car was better than it was. It also made them believe they were better than they were too.

Reactions: Tig
Back