Car of the Week: 1982 Dodge Rampage

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
1982-Rampage-7.jpg

Harvey Retzack figures that sooner or later the rest of the world might realize that Chrysler Corp. was on to something good back in 1982.

That was the year the company went against the grain and launched its funky Rampage pickup — a little front-wheel-drive hauler that was just a blip on the automotive landscape and fuzzy memory to many car folks. Retzack has one of the few that you’ll see on the road these days, and the longer he owns it, the more he is convinced the featherweight Rampage was a rock star that just never got discovered.

“People say, ‘Did you cut that down from a station wagon?’” laughs Retzack. “Most people have never heard of it or seen it. Dodge did not do a good job of impressing it on the market or impressing it on the world. People didn’t know these were [available], unfortunately. That’s the sad thing — in 1982, ’83, ’84, a vehicle for under $4,000 that would haul a half-ton of stuff and still get 30 mpg. I don’t know why they didn’t sell like hot cakes. I’m sure Chrysler was scratching their heads, too. They just didn’t sell.”

Read more.

El Caminos were cool from the early seventies back. Rancheros were cool.

Even the Subaru Brat was somewhat cool.

The Rampage is awful.

Lol those things were all round sad. A local mechanic used to have one as a shop/junkyard runner and it was just comically bad at everything.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I remember when they came out. I just always thought they were like tiny El Caminos, just ugly.

In the 70s we made a pickup truck out of a Vega wagon. I think Chrysler owes me some money :) at least some design consultation fees. I'll look for the picture. Brb

not feeling the love for the rampage. or just about any car made during that period.

and btw......ANYTHING will run 9's with a 1000 HP Hemi in it. :wink:

Back