Car of the Week: 1980 Plymouth Gran Fury police car

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
1980-Gran-Fury-8.jpg

Patrick James collects memorabilia of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. As a constable on the force, buttons, tunics and other odds and ends are easy to obtain. Last year he obtained the ultimate piece of RCMP history: a restored former highway patrol car.

For decades MoPar vehicles were considered by many police officers who drove them as ideal for patrol and pursuit work. By the mid-1970s, strangling emissions regulations were having a an effect on vehicle size and performance. Among the “Big Three” automakers, Chrysler was the slowest to downsize. When revised “R” body cars premiered in the late 1970s, a Plymouth version was not available. This upset dealers who sold to police fleets. As a result, the Plymouth Gran Fury “R” body, basically a Newport with a different front grille, debuted for 1980 model year.

Read more.

Pa. State Police had those, as i remember.

i had a 1967 Fury for about a year and a half. (not this actual one) good car.....not so pretty tho. and with the 273 c.i. engine, not terribly fast either.

38031100001_large.jpg

Last edited:
Pa. State Police had those, as i remember.

i had a 1967 Fury for about a year and a half. (not this actual one) good car.....not so pretty tho. and with the 273 c.i. engine, not terribly fast either.

38031100001_large.jpg

Yeah, that's a nice looking car.

The OP, not so much.

Back