Car of the Week 1973 Plymouth 'Cuda

Original-One-Owner-1973-Plymouth-Cuda-A132.jpg

Original-One-Owner-1973-Plymouth-Cuda-A080.jpg

Among the thousands of cars at a recent Iola Car Show in Iola, Wis., a bright red ’73 Plymouth Barracuda caught my eye. As I approached the Barracuda, the “340” emblem on the hood scoop came into focus and I realized this was the performance ’Cuda edition. Then, as I studied the car, it hit me. This ’Cuda had original paint. A peek through the driver’s side window rocked me back on my heels. The pristine black vinyl interior and Pistol Grip shifter on the four-speed had me wondering if it also had the original interior. As I walked around the car, I was amazed at the condition of the full black vinyl top and the black stripes on the fenders, doors and quarter panels. It became evident the car was very original and had not been restored.

I soon learned that, in the fall of 1974, Keith Conradt purchased a well-equipped Rallye Red 1973 Plymouth ’Cuda from Red Colligan Chrysler-Plymouth-Dodge in Waupaca, Wis. He was 23 years old and the ’Cuda was his first new car.

read more:
http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-week-1973-plymouth-cuda

and this could be an opportunity for me to post my '73 Dodge Challenger, again. :grin:

those cars (both 'cuda and challenger) with the 4 speed pistol grip shifter are really kinda rare. way many more were made with the auto tranny AND you can not transform an auto tranny to a 4 speed. mopar's bracket system was different between the two, unlike ford or chevy.
i've know two guys who've tried to convert an auto to a 4 speed and both of them ended up jerry rigging brackets together and welding them up.....and both of them broke all the time. so if you were to want a 4 speed car (and this goes for all mopar muscle cars 1966 - 1975) you have to get one that came that way.

Always liked the 'Cuda much more than the Challenger. The 'Cuda had cleaner lines and less angles.

The 340 was a pretty decent engine, too.

Cool story about the ownership (minus the cancer and death) and the mechanic that kept it running.

Great car, but I prefer the 1st gen 'Cuda.

bbkSEwa.jpg

apples and oranges. the 1st generation body was based on the dart platform. the 2nd generation was entirely new.
the 1st generation was the Barracuda. the second was called the 'Cuda, to differentiate it from the 1st.

Yeah ... to think if we bought one and hung on to it... Just wow...
oh yea......the car list :facepalm:
(not in order of ownership)
1971 GTO 400
1971 Torino Cobra 429 SCJ
1973 Challenger 340
1968 Road Runner 383 (had it about 2 weeks or so before a rod cap spun and went thru the block)
1968 Fairlane GT 302
1985 Mustang GT 302
1996 Camaro Z-28 350 LT-1
:(
:facepalm::facepalm:

I had a 68 road runner, pulled the 383 and shoved in a 440... sold it and they put it in a barn, might still be there for all I know... They found 392 hemi and were rebuilding it to put in... no idea if it got done...

I had a 68 road runner, pulled the 383 and shoved in a 440... sold it and they put it in a barn, might still be there for all I know... They found 392 hemi and were rebuilding it to put in... no idea if it got done...

i got my R.R. knowing there were some issues with the engine, but i only paid $200 for it and it lasted a few months and it was an automatic and had some noticeable rust, so no big loss. i always liked '68-'70 R.R.'s and for that kind of cash, it was easy to have one for a while.

Back