Car of the Week - 1973 Mustang Mach I

I was never big on that model Mustang. They were huge and the long hood was horrid.
Still, not as ugly as 1974 though.
1974_00017_01.jpg

But nowhere near as pretty as 1970.
1970_00001_03.jpg

I like the look of those Mach I's, personally :)

The original engines were probably anemic though :embarrassed:

My sister Leslie had a 72 Mach 1 351 Ram Air. Black on Gold. That car was stunning.

These were laughed at and I wasn't old enough to drive when they came out but I wanted one. Small body you could get with a 302 (5.0) V8. Go fast potential sleeper potential with a cam, intake, and 4 barrel.
1974_00017_01.jpg

A guy's dad down the street had a yellow '72 or '73 Mach I in the early 70's. That man never drove without the window down and his arm resting on the door seal, even when it was cold. He suffered a permanent left arm tan.

These were laughed at and I wasn't old enough to drive when they came out but I wanted one. Small body you could get with a 302 (5.0) V8. Go fast potential sleeper potential with a cam, intake, and 4 barrel.
1974_00017_01.jpg
The cams were what really gimped the 302's in those and other cars of the era. It was a fairly simple fix for those good with a wrench.

Yeah, for me mustang beauty peaked in 1970. The later models were pretty ugly.

Guy I went to school with had one w/ really nicely built 302 that was a screamer. Fast and ugly. That car was fast and very competitive in some of the local street drag racing that was going on at the time. I hadn't kept up with him after school but found out that he and that car wound up leading the cops on a multi-state pursuit, got away and was eventually arrested at his house.

Back