Car of the Week - 1970 Plymouth Superbird

Yeah baby, Richard Petty won so many races driving a Superbird, NASCAR had to outlaw the Plymouth.

I love those cars so much, I bought one.

Superbird%201024_zpsf8q5ggow.jpg

During the 1970s, I recall seeing Superbirds every once in a while.

Once, back in the '70s, I spotted a *nose* of a Superbird laying in the grass near an intersection. It was orange, so there was no doubt it was from a Superbird. There had apparently been an accident at the intersection and the nose had been left behind.

I got home and called someone I knew who had a pickup truck so that I we could go fetch the Superbird remains. Unfortunately, by the time we got there some 45 minutes later, someone else had already grabbed the prize. Hopefully, it was the owner of the wrecked Superbird.

My 81 y/o mom told me one of her 85 y/o friends was watching a car auction on TV last week and noticed that a "Plymouth" sold for over $2 million. Might this have been the car?

My high school Chem teacher had one...probably still has it for all I know. He lived a few miles away from us so I'd see it pretty often on the weekends driving around.
Simeone has a minty fresh orange one. Saw one the other weekend at a concourse show and was surprised at how little attention it received.

My 81 y/o mom told me one of her 85 y/o friends was watching a car auction on TV last week and noticed that a "Plymouth" sold for over $2 million. Might this have been the car?
I'm pretty sure that was a HEMI 'cuda.

I don't think a Superbird has ever fetched 7 figures. Not yet, anyway.

Yeah, the Superbird would be something I'd want if I had a place to display it. I'd drive it to shows, too, but it wouldn't be something I'd just take out for a cruise.

A Runner, I'd do all of that.

I plan to do the same with my Charger if it ever get it finished.

Reactions: Tig
While I recognize the historical significance of the Superbird in stock car racing, they are way down on the list of cars I'd want to own if I could afford to. They just look silly to me.

While I recognize the historical significance of the Superbird in stock car racing, they are way down on the list of cars I'd want to own if I could afford to. They just look silly to me.
Yeah, I'd take one for the solid appreciation potential but otherwise,, meh

Back