Car of the Week: 1970 AMC Javelin SST ‘Mark Donahue’ Edition

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
1969-Mark-Donahue-1.jpg

If AMC had kept on making Javelins, there’s no telling how many Axel Axmann might have owned by now. As it is, the Alberta, Canada resident is up to 10 of the orphan pony cars. None of them have been any better than his current stellar — and rare — 1970 Javelin SST “Mark Donahue” edition. The beautiful Hialeah Yellow Javelin is so far the pinnacle of Axmann’s long love affair with the racy AMCs.

Axmann got hooked up with his first Javelin through a friend during his teen years. “I said what the hell is that?” he recalls with a laugh. “He said it’s a Javelin. I didn’t even really know what they were … but my first car turned out to be a 1973 Javelin. It looked like a million bucks, but it had a straight-six in it and all the guys were challenging me to races and I couldn’t get out of the gate! [laughs]” Sadly, Axmann lost that car in an accident that wasn’t his fault, but as luck would have it there would be nine more Javelins in his future — possibly more.

“I’ve owned every single year of Javelin that there has been and now find myself with the one I have pretty much searched for since I lost that first one,” he says. “When I first saw this car and heard about it, because it’s the only year they built it, it absolutely fascinated me. I just love the lines and the body and the look of it. And part of what attracted me is that it was so unique.”

Read more.

I had friend in the 70's that had a 68 like is pictured below. Same color and everything. Had the small 4.8 V8 with a 4 speed. Sounded killer. Looks like it should have a back seat but it didn't.

280px-1968_AMC_Javelin_base_model_red-NJ.jpg

Always loved the Javelin. I posted these in the "On the road" thread last week. Not sure if you saw them, but they were at a fundraiser at my kids' school.

57159eeba53c78ee61d9a8e68c31c30d.jpg
0fb23111002aff3119a408a77efb058d.jpg
5054d4d2f465cc5f3377c636a600b559.jpg

Sent from Crab Nebulae via reverse engineered alien technology

The only AMC ever built that was actually worth owning.

My Dad bought a Pacer (the mirthmobile!) when I was in HS and the POS started falling apart in less than six months.

Reactions: Tig
The only AMC ever built that was actually worth owning.

My Dad bought a Pacer (the mirthmobile!) when I was in HS and the POS started falling apart in less than six months.
The Gremlin did ok in some race circles.

When I was 18 I worked part time for Hertz Rent a car and go to drive Javelins on numerous occasions. Funny thing though, they were in the shop frequently.

Back