Car of the Week: 1969 Dodge Dart GTS ‘M’ Code

My Uncle Charlie bought the Swinger.
1971-dodge-swinger.jpg

It was a bold move for Uncle Charlie, but he was getting up there, I think he was 70 when he bought it. I loved it. This one was the same color and everything, though the webpage said they came w/a 340, I'm pretty sure Unc's had the Slant 6. I loved the grillework, the roofline, the color, and it's smaller, compact size compared to all the huge landyachts running around back then.

When he bought it new (and I think his was a '69 or '68, he decided to drive it down to the Coast from his home in Atlanta. About 70 miles from Biloxi, he'd somehow managed to enable the hazard warning lights. That system was new in 1968, as were side marker lights. He had no idea how to turn them off so he kept driving. After a while, he got the attention of the highway patrol, who pulled him over and they both spent a few minutes on the side of the road trying to turn them off.

The horn was something I always remembered on these cars; the "button" wasn't a button at all, or a horn ring or anything else you'd expect or be looking for. You'd just squeeze the steering wheel. There was a thin, rubber lining all the way around the inside circumference of the steering wheel, and you'd just squeeze the wheel, wherever your hands happened to be.

the two base engines for the Swinger were the slant 6 and the 318.
of course, as with almost any mopar, you could order what ever engine you wanted.....you might have had to do it thru a package, but there were Darts that were ordered with 426 Hemi's.

The horn was something I always remembered on these cars; the "button" wasn't a button at all, or a horn ring or anything else you'd expect or be looking for. You'd just squeeze the steering wheel. There was a thin, rubber lining all the way around the inside circumference of the steering wheel, and you'd just squeeze the wheel, wherever your hands happened to be.
Rim blow steering wheel!

My wife had that same dart in high school, except for her car was ordered with whatever code got you the slant 6 and a three speed stick. I bet the letter code was L for lame. I guess it is nothing like the car in the OP.

Back