Car of the Week: 1966 Dodge Charger

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
IMG_3931.JPG

The Charger was Dodge Division’s answer to the fastback craze and it was dramatically different than all competitors when it arrived. It was big and wide, which gave it a distinctive “flat” look to distinguish it from other muscle cars. It combined MoPar’s bright, clean interior styling with some of the company’s best engine options to create a package that had no peers.

Dodge called its 1966 Charger a “Sports Sedan,” even though it was really a Sport Coupe. This was an attempt to widen its sales appeal beyond the youth market and to stress its cargo-carrying abilities. With a full-size 117-inch wheelbase and 203.6 inches of overall length, the Charger was certainly roomy. And its 75.3-inch width didn’t hurt either. With seating for only four on its front and rear bucket seats, the Charger was not really sedan-like in the passenger-carrying category, either. Its real appeal was its sporty flavor.

Read more.

It's a Coronet with a fastback roof.
How is that mutant hideousness?
I'll admit that that picture isn't the best angle. A full on side shot is pretty sexy.
The interior is fantastic.

First production car with a HEMI option, too.

A 66 Charger is on my C.A.S. list.

I loved the whole line of Chargers, but not the current four door tubs they're building. They did a nice job with the Challenger, I don't know what happened with the Charger.
Here's what they should have done.

2017%2BDodge%2BCharger%2BSRT8%2B%2B%2BSpecifications.png

Last edited:
Did it sport a slant 6?

The 66?
That was an option then.
A slant 6 Charger from any year is a rare beast, but it did happen.
Slant 6 production was roughly 20% of production each year. Not 20% of Charger production. 20% of total production of all models from all plants.

My 73 had a slanty in it. I had no idea it was so rare. And yes, I know that rare doesn't always equate to desirable.

I loved the whole line of Chargers, but not the current four door tubs they're building. They did a nice job with the Challenger, I don't know what happened with the Charger.
Here's what they should have done.

2017%2BDodge%2BCharger%2BSRT8%2B%2B%2BSpecifications.png

The current line of Chargers were designed by committee headed up by a guy that wasn't really a designer. He was a boss in charge of design. The Challenger came from the team after they got rid of that guy.

I didn't like the new Charger when it was first introduced. I had one though. It was an option on the company car list and the other options were horrible in my opinion. I had plans of de-badging it and maybe putting Coronet emblems on it, but in the end I decided I wasn't that concerned. It turned out to be a really nice car. When we shitcanned the company car benefit, I bought it out.

Oddly enough, the new Chargers are one of the few cars they make that turn a profit. It would be nice to see them make a sports coupe out of the new Charger, but knowing Chrysler, they'd muck it up somehow.

never have been a big fan of the 'fastback' look on those cars. a classmate in highschool had a '67 charger with the 440 in it.

Oddly enough, the new Chargers are one of the few cars they make that turn a profit. It would be nice to see them make a sports coupe out of the new Charger, but knowing Chrysler, they'd muck it up somehow.
Yeah. It got them back into the fleet business - especially with the police.

If the team that were involved in the last 5 years or so were to take a run at a redesign, I'd be interested to see it.
Right now, I'd be concerned about that team being constrained by the Fiat leadership - at least in terms of design autonomy.
I get it though. Right now, I think they want to leverage as much as they already have in place rather than start a whole new platform from scratch.

It would be interesting to know what they've got going on in the R&D and design departments for stuff that might be a few years until release, or even as a concept. Is it more tech focused? Design focused? Both?
Sure. It should be both in an ideal situation, but what is the reality?

Back