Car of the Week: 1965 Porsche 911 coupe

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
IMG_4621.JPG

I bought the car in 1984 in Nevada and drove it daily for several years. From 1984 to 1985 it went up and down the Alaska Highway and then to the East Coast before settling into Park City, Utah. The engine is out of a 1967 911S (No. *960348*); I rebuilt it in my Park City condo’s living room in 1986. The car went into the first of four body shops for a new paint job in 1991 and emerged in 2008. Then it went into my garage, and it took me eight more years to finish the job — mostly fuel and oil changes and thoroughly disassembling and cleaning out the carburetors, putting all the body pieces (fenders, doors, etc.) back together, replacing the old headliner, and putting new (out of a mid-80s 911) front seats in it. At this point the car was far from concours, but pretty darn nice. It was running, but not really running well.

Read more.

I can appreciate the amount of work/time and money he put into this.

I guess my question would be "Why?"

I can't imagine it's worth anywhere NEAR the amount of effort he went to.

It's cool, but.......I guess I just question his ROI.

Last edited:
why?

CURRENT & HISTORICAL VALUES

View current vehicle values and see how they’ve changed over time in 3-year, 5-year and to-date intervals. Compare these values to other vehicles and benchmark financial indices.
Current Values

#1 Concours $262,000
#2 Excellent $189,000
#3 Good $142,000
#4 Fair $94,100
Value Adjustments
+10% for factory sunroof.
https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1965-porsche-911

Early 911s are plenty desirable.

I wonder what the value is of one that's been Frankenstein'ed together?
I have no idea.

Again, I like it. It's cool. Just question the ROI.

I wonder what the value is of one that's been Frankenstein'ed together?
I have no idea.

Again, I like it. It's cool. Just question the ROI.

Restorations are often passion projects and ROI isn't always huge factor but in this case, you also have to consider that he bought it in '84 & the appreciation since has been significant.

That car is worth about $4500. Porschefiles don't even look at cars that have been modified in ANY way. The engine swap alone took any value that car may have had away. The "rebuilt in my living room" part seals its fate as a cheap Craigslist car.

That car is worth about $4500. Porschefiles don't even look at cars that have been modified in ANY way. The engine swap alone took any value that car may have had away. The "rebuilt in my living room" part seals its fate as a cheap Craigslist car.

later in the linked article he mentions it was professionally restored & he has all the original parts minus the motor.

Reactions: OGG
later in the linked article he mentions it was professionally restored & he has all the original parts minus the motor.
Doesn't matter. It's been fucked with. There's no going back. A Porsche purists won't touch that car. Sad but true.

Doesn't matter. It's been fucked with. There's no going back. A Porsche purists won't touch that car. Sad but true.

Purists, no. that's true of any car that's been modified or not all orig/concurs level resto, etc. There's still a huge market of non-purists who still pay big money for cars like this all the time.

That's kind of what I was thinking, too.

Along those lines, anyway.

I think it's probably worth more than $4500, but I cannot imagine it is worth anywhere near $50K. Not even close

All that aside, I love the color and the wheels.
:wink:

I can appreciate all the time and work that went into it. It's very cool.

Link to any running not totally trashed $4500.00 911 on Craigslist......cop0

Back