Car of the Week: 1965 Ford Thunderbird

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of...-ford-thunderbird?et_mid=657312&rid=241966444

1965-Bird10.jpg

Beautiful car, though I'll admit I've always had a soft spot for the mid to late-60s Ford sleds. I drove a '67 Tudor for a few years in my late teens and loved that car. Ford was on it's way to morphing the 'Bird into a full-sized Lincoln by then. I wish they'd kept it small like the early Thunderbirds.

i had a '66 in high school (early 70's). well, it was really my dad's, but i drove it most of the time. he had T-birds starting in '64 and had a '65 after that one. he always liked them, but he wasn't a "gear head"....he was a doctor. so when we went to see the '66 at a friend of his house they popped the hood and i almost pee'd my pants. he had already said i could drive it, and like i said he wasn't a gear head. it had a pretty rare 428 Thunder Jet 4 barrel. i was almost dancing in place.

that thing was one of the ultimate sleepers at my high school. NO ONE expected that bird to just get up and take off. i had a lot of fun with that car.
it was black with the red roll and tuck interior, with the swing away steering wheel. front AND read speakers stock. the mercury thermometer speedo and sequential turn signals. a very cool car.

Love all the 60's T-birds. Later they turned into a big ugly slug, but 66 was great looking year.

Attachments

• ford-00344-2.jpg
    ford-00344-2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 6,361
Love the car.

The owner's name is kind of fun to say too.

'Scuse me. :embarrassed:

Our neighbor had one of those. You could hear the mechanical contacts when the sequential turn signals were on.
I love the controls!
1965-Tbird3.jpg

We later had a monster sized '70 with a 428 that was crazy quick for such a heavy beast.
1.jpg

that thing was one of the ultimate sleepers at my high school. NO ONE expected that bird to just get up and take off. i had a lot of fun with that car.
it was black with the red roll and tuck interior, with the swing away steering wheel. front AND read speakers stock. the mercury thermometer speedo and sequential turn signals. a very cool car.
Mine had the 390 4bbl like the one in OP, and man, it was a torquey sob, along with a C6 and a 9" rear, was indestructible.

I loved that SwingAway steering, and the rear quarter windows didn't roll down, they slid back into the C pillar! And of course the all-leather interior, buckets, console with AC to the back seats and those cool, wrap-around back seats and sequential turns. One day I'd love to own another.

Mine had the 390 4bbl like the one in OP, and man, it was a torquey sob, along with a C6 and a 9" rear, was indestructible.

I loved that SwingAway steering, and the rear quarter windows didn't roll down, they slid back into the C pillar! And of course the all-leather interior, buckets, console with AC to the back seats and those cool, wrap-around back seats and sequential turns. One day I'd love to own another.

yep...mine had all that stuff too. and yea, the 390 was a great motor.....and that 428 was kinda crazy in that car. it wasn't as quick as a good Road Runner from stop light to stop light, but god help that Road Runner when we get to the freeway!! :grin:

I had a friend that had a '60s T-Bird for awhile.

I'm not sure what year it was, but the speedometer was like a sideways thermometer that went all the way across the drivers side of the dashboard. Anybody know what I mean? What year(s) were those?

I had a friend that had a '60s T-Bird for awhile.

I'm not sure what year it was, but the speedometer was like a sideways thermometer that went all the way across the drivers side of the dashboard. Anybody know what I mean? What year(s) were those?

Like this one?
1965-Tbird5.jpg

Sport coupe with a hood scoop. Lovely, fine lines on an older model, though not as lovely as Helen Mirren.

Back