Car of the Week: 1964 Buick LeSabre

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
IMG_4492.JPG

The next time he goes collector car shopping with his mother Delores, Bryan Simonson figures he better either get a head start on her, or a faster power scooter.

The last time the old car-loving mother-son duo went snooping around for a new hobby car, Delores left her son in the dust and had already zeroed in on a car by the time he got to the car corral at the Iola Car Show in Wisconsin.

“It was about 10 years ago her knee started going bad and she couldn’t walk, and so one year she couldn’t get around and I remember her saying, ‘I can’t wait until next year! When I have my new knee we’re really going to go!’ Well, the next year, we rented motorized scooters and I could not keep up with her. We headed out to the car corral and I lost her, and all of a sudden she came tooling back and said, ‘I’ve found the car for us,’ and it was this car,” he recalls, pointing to his beautiful 1964 Buick LeSabre four-door hardtop.

Read more.

My brother had one of those in the 70's. He'd hook his boat trailer to it load it up with 9 people and off we'd go. Tremendous fun.

They're about even. The car's enormous and going down the road with all the windows open was awesome. Huge window openings.

I had one of those in the 70's. Was driving down Downer Ave. on the east side of Milwaukee one day when it was about 30 below. In the middle of moving traffic it blew a heater hose dumping 195 degree coolant all over my feet. While I was reacting to the scolding coolant all the windows instantly fogged up and I couldn't see a thing. Rolled the window down and stuck my head out to see where I was going. Put it in a parking lot, went home and never came back for it. My FIL gave it to us when he got a new car, abandoning it did not lead to warm feelings. In fact it was about as cold as it was outside that day.

Back