Car of the Week: 1959 Chevrolet Impala

Note: there's a little bit of red going on here.
1959-chevrolet-impala.png

1959-chevrolet-impala-rear.png

1959-chevrolet-impal-rear-interior.png

Larry Axdahl figured he’d have a hard time improving on the 1959 Chevrolet Impala convertible he bought new back in ’59. But that hasn’t stopped him from trying.

In some ways, his glorious red ’59 ragtop is actually better than the Impala he bought new and kept for five years in his younger days. The car has a modern air ride suspension, point-less distributor, dual exhausts, a more modern 700R4 transmission and certainly a better paint job than the factory would have supplied.

Impala No. 2 will never make Axdahl forget his first one, but the Chetek, Wis., resident seems just as happy with this one as he was with his brand new convertible. “My wife and I met and 6 months later got married and started having babies, you know how that goes," he recalled. "When the second [child] was coming she said, ‘That’s it, no more convertibles,’ so down the road it went. I had to unload it in ’65, and then 11 years later I found this one in Minnesota, where we lived.”

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-of-the-week-1959-chevrolet-impala

Love that car. In the 70's my best friend's grandmother had one that was a hard top baby blue with a white hard top. Had a little 283 and a 3 speed manual on the column. When we came of the age to drive she let him drive it when ever he wanted.

That red was the thing in that era. Another friend of mine had a black 64 Ford Galaxie with a red interior. It was really cool though.

Love that car. In the 70's my best friend's grandmother had one that was a hard top baby blue with a white hard top. Had a little 283 and a 3 speed manual on the column. When we came of the age to drive she let him drive it when ever he wanted.
in 1960 my dad had a '59 Biscayne hardtop. don't know what motor, probably the 283.
in 1961 he gave it to his father (my grand dad) who drove it until 1965 when he got a Galaxie Custom with 289, Wimbeldon White with red interior also.

Back