Car of the Week: 1959 Buick Electra

1959-buick-mainuse.jpg

1959-buick-side.jpg

1959-buick-main2.jpg

1959-buick-engine.jpg

Ron Bishop has had his 1959 Buick Electra for 47 years now, but he can recall a time he really had no interest in Buicks. In fact, if he had a garage back in 1964, he might have become a Cadillac man.

If he had a garage back in the day, Ron Bishop might have become a Cadillac man instead of a Buick guy.

He can laugh about it now, but not having shelter for a new ride was a pretty big issue back in 1964 for the Phoenix, Ariz., resident.

“I found the car at a [used] car lot sitting right next to a ’59 Cadillac Eldorado convertible,” Bishop recalled of his first meeting with his 1959 Buick Electra hardtop coupe. “That Cadillac is what I had my eye on. But the cars, they weren’t really front-line cars. They were what you’d call No. 2, No. 3 cars. They weren’t really spotless.

“But I didn’t have a garage. I was living in an apartment so I couldn’t get a convertible… If you don’t have a garage you don’t want a convertible. You don’t want it to sit out in California, especially. I ended up getting the Buick. It cost me $1,500 and $65 a month for 18 months… The guy told me I had to build some credit up because I had no credit!

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-1959-buick-electra

Last edited:
I love this era Buick. It looks great with those wheels and lowered just a bit. I had a 59 Pontiac for a while in high school that I traded for a 55 Chevy pickup. When I see these cars now I could kick myself in the ass for not keeping it.

Back