Car of the Week: 1957 Ford Thunderbird

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
IMG_5948.JPG

Ken Schermitzler had been a “Square ’Bird” guy for a long time. But he always wanted to be a “Baby ’Bird” guy.

The Green Bay, Wis., resident bought his first Thunderbird — a 1959 convertible — back in 1964 when he was barely old enough to drive. He loved the car and went on to buy another one years later, but he always had a special affinity for the early two-seat cars from 1955 to ’57.

“I had a ’59 for about 30 years, and I always wanted to get a two-seater,” he laughs. “I was 16 when I bought that ’59 convertible, and I got it for 300 bucks. That was in 1964… It belonged to an old lady and she had it sitting in her front yard under a tree, all full of leaves. I was always looking for one because my dad had one. She wanted to get rid of it and she said, ‘For 300 bucks, you can have it!’ All it needed was a new top. The top was ripped in the back and all the leaves were going in it.

Read more.

i've always liked the '55 and '56 better, but then i've never been a 'fin' kind of guy anyway.
have any of you ever gotten in one of those and drove one, even just in a parking lot? they are extremely tight, and i was only about 135 lbs back then and the steering wheel was rubbing on the tops of my thighs. in even a fender bender, they're death traps.

Reactions: Tig
Back