Capo Heaven

I like to throw in a lot of open note runs (like Dave Rawlings... almost cross-picking) so sometimes being capoed at the same fret is best, but I like to have a little more range when possible.

Richard Thompson does a ton of that too. Lots of drone notes. I think that's something I really love in guitar leads.

Richard Thompson does a ton of that too. Lots of drone notes. I think that's something I really love in guitar leads.

Yeah. Both Thompson and Rawlings obviously do that much, much better than I do, but that was my style from when I first started learning guitar. When I picked up mandolin learning cross picking was pretty quick.

I have only used a capo on a few Jethro Tull songs.
Mike Ness is a fan.
Never tried playing a Social D song with one.

I have only used a capo on a few Jethro Tull songs.
Mike Ness is a fan.
Never tried playing a Social D song with one.

A LOT of the Tull stuff is 3rd (or 5th) fret capo stuff.

One little trick I like doing in the studio is layer a normally played acoustic together with one capoed a 3rd or 5th higher up. Instant massive sound. :)

Reactions: DFB
I use a capo quite often, and not always on acoustic.

playing the rhythm to Wild West End without it just doesn't work right.

I also like cut capos, which can lead to interesting arrangements. For example, I could never play this song right until I saw this video...

I did this a lot when I used to play with another acoustic guitar player. They played the song as written - I would capo up 5 frets to get a different tone. I got pretty good at converting chords on the fly (G=C, A=D, D=G, etc).

This is the money. We do it on some gigs with three acoustic guitar players, all capo'd in different positions. Makes for a super full sound.

Back