Capo Heaven

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
Since playing solo acoustic shows on and off over the past few years I never realized how valuable a capo has become for me. I started a prior post on the usage of a capo with my Mandolin and now will share my experience and thoughts with it for the guitar.

I have never been an advocate for the usage of a capo because I never needed it. The first time I found a use for one was in 2003 when I played in a Rush Tribute. We played the song 'Big Money' and I could not get the harmonics or the right sound out of the guitar. I used artificial harmonics but the harmonics did not ring proper. Chords played also did not have that ring to create the right effect. Another Rush fan told me that Alex used a capo on the song and all the harmonics would fall into place. So I went to GC and bought my first Kyser. Not only did the harmonics fall into place but the chords were all open chords and the chime of 'Big Money' that I heard was there.

Well over the last 3 years as I started to build my repertoire I began to find that many of the songs that I looked to play in my future required a capo - ie: Fire and Rain, Free Falling, etc. A few months ago I attended a Brooks and John seminar/concert put on by the Association of Fingerstyle Guitarist and saw that John Standefer used a Capo on a few songs. As he explained he uses it to create the open bass strings for the duet pieces that they play and makes playing chord voices easier with a drone....Duh...why didn't I think of that?

So with that idea, I started to play Steely Dan's Do It Again capo'd at the 3rd fret. Not only did it make the song easier to play, but I could drone and vamp the open G while solo'd on the remainder of the strings during the break. I am starting to find playing Rocket Man (capo on 1st fret) much simpler for bass movement. And this goes on and on and on.

Last one I want to share is the use of a capo with open tunings. I have found that tuning one of my acoustics to Open D (D A D F# A D) I can play a lot blues tunes in Open D ie: Dust My Broom, etc. Add a capo onto the 2nd fret and you are in open E ie: She Talks To Angels, etc.

Benefits of Capo in a solo or duet setting
1) Allows the use of a drone bass strings
2) Helps to create easier movement of walking bass lines
3) With drones, it allows player to play more intricate voicings
4) Changing keys for the ease of singing

I am sure there are more but this so far has been my experience.

Good look at the benefits of using a capo. I have used capos almost as long as I have played guitar, so I don't even give it a second thought. :grin:

I must agree. I've discovered that many more songs require a capo than I ever imagined.
I'll try using it with alternate tunings now, thanks to you. :thu:

@Modern Saint , I agree whole heartedly. I use a capo for probably half of the songs in our set list for several of the reasons mentioned. There is a difference in tone from an open string ringing out at the nut and a first fret capo. Plus it's like changing the scale length of the instrument.

I too listen for open string drone notes... and have even moved some of the first position chords to elsewhere on the neck because it rings out so much better with drone notes down low and chorded notes up high.

Then lastly, there are a couple songs that I can move around in two or three keys depending on what other songs I want to mash it up with.

@Modern Saint , I agree whole heartedly. I use a capo for probably half of the songs in our set list for several of the reasons mentioned. There is a difference in tone from an open string ringing out at the nut and a first fret capo. Plus it's like changing the scale length of the instrument.

I too listen for open string drone notes... and have even moved some of the first position chords to elsewhere on the neck because it rings out so much better with drone notes down low and chorded notes up high.

Then lastly, there are a couple songs that I can move around in two or three keys depending on what other songs I want to mash it up with.

Are you playing Rocket Man with a Capo, Tony? I am with the Capo on the 1st fret. All of the walking bass notes are played with ease for me. But then again you have Robert on bass.

Unless your voice can cover about five or six octaves, a capo is an absolute must for solo acoustic...

Wholeheartedly agree.

But not for mandolins. That's just stupid, and you should just practice more.

maxresdefault.jpg

Are you playing Rocket Man with a Capo, Tony? I am with the Capo on the 1st fret. All of the walking bass notes are played with ease for me. But then again you have Robert on bass.

Yep. Certain songs I love first fret capo.

Unfortunately my fret wear hasn't loved my capo as much. I will be getting my T5 refretted with EVOs this fall.

A lot of it has to do with the music one plays. If the songs never required a capo, why have one?

:spit:

I guess if you're only playing covers in E and A, then it's unnecessary. But if you want to be even the least bit inventive, the capo is a great place to start.

I guess if you're only playing covers in E and A, then it's unnecessary. But if you want to be even the least bit inventive, the capo is a great place to start.

That is pretty much what I mentioned up above - referencing the Steely Dan tune in a solo application. I don't see it being useful with a full band.

In KUC we capo a lot, mainly dependent on which of us is singing lead. Kaitlin tends to favor around the 1st and 3rd frets and I capo near the 1st or 6th. My voice is strong in F, and that's not a very friendly acoustic key.

In KUC we capo a lot, mainly dependent on which of us is singing lead. Kaitlin tends to favor around the 1st and 3rd frets and I capo near the 1st or 6th. My voice is strong in F, and that's not a very friendly acoustic key.

I did this a lot when I used to play with another acoustic guitar player. They played the song as written - I would capo up 5 frets to get a different tone. I got pretty good at converting chords on the fly (G=C, A=D, D=G, etc).

I did this a lot when I used to play with another acoustic guitar player. They played the song as written - I would capo up 5 frets to get a different tone. I got pretty good at converting chords on the fly (G=C, A=D, D=G, etc).

I like to throw in a lot of open note runs (like Dave Rawlings... almost cross-picking) so sometimes being capoed at the same fret is best, but I like to have a little more range when possible.

Back