Cannoli

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Has anyone here ever tried to make cannoli?

I want to try and make some, and need a good recipe.

The last couple of times I've gotten coffee at the local Barnes & Noble Starbucks, I've bought a cannoli as well. I think they put crack in them or something, they are so addictive I gotta buy one anytime I go in there now :embarrassed: I figure I may as well attempt to make some one of these days.

My sister-in-law that is of Italian descent tried to make them a few times for her annual Christmas Eve get-together, and hers turned out not so great.

6a010536a07d60970b0120a6e431a2970b-800wi

I figure the shell/dough is probably the hardest thing to get right on 'em.

Just buy some pre-made shells and stuff 'em.
It's easy as pie. Mascarpone/Ricotta/vanilla/confectioner's sugar/chocolate chips--that's it.
They're better the next day--not so crunchy and don't fall apart.

Grandpa used to bring home a box of mixed Italian pastry every Friday after work. It's a happy memory of childhood.

I never tried to make one but I would think the shell is probably the toughest thing to get right.

Just buy some pre-made shells and stuff 'em.
It's easy as pie. Mascarpone/Ricotta/vanilla/confectioner's sugar/chocolate chips--that's it.
They're better the next day--not so crunchy and don't fall apart.

Where do you get pre-made shells from? I've never seen them that I know of.

It strikes me as a dessert that's better left to the professionals.

I agree, but at the same time, others may not have that option. I don't know where JBrid lives, but where I live in Chicago, there are several bakeries nearby that make really good cannoli. I can buy them freshly made for about $1 each. He may not be so lucky.

Where do you get pre-made shells from? I've never seen them that I know of.
Any high end grocer should have them.
I've gotten them at a local place called Bristol Farms, and I think I've seen them at Ralph's.

Back