Canned meats

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
What's everybody eating meatwise out of cans these days?

I just bought two cans of Herford Corned beef on Saturdeay for a corned beef caserole recipe, in fact I'm getting rerady to eat some for dinner soon and I already had some for dinner last night.

I'm sure some food nazi will tell me I should raise my own cow, give him belly rub massage and then kill and butcher him withmy own hands to make my own authentic corned beef but this is a casserole recipe from the 50's or 60's so it requires canned science and honestly it needs that texture of the spam like meat because it gets mixed with rice bell pepper and onions, wouldn't work with fancy pants "real" corned beef.

hereford_corned_beef.jpg

So what about you, what's your most recent canned meat.?

I can't remember the last time I had canned meat. I am guessing something in C-rats in the '82,or Spam in '83. I had the first gen of MRE'S and would pack canned stuff when in the field instead of eating them.

I bought a can of Spam recently and no one would try it.
One of my favorite lunches is canned salmon.
canned_salmon.jpg

The only meat I've had from a can in the last decade was Progresso Italian wedding soup. Which is a classic.

Tuna and corned beef here......

My wife likes to get this stuff called "potted meat" every once in a while, but I won't eat that crap.......

I still like tuna once in a while but that's about it. I used to depend on them quite a bit for camping trips.

Recently, on a whim, I decided to give Spam a chance. Decided since I hadn't tasted it since I was a kid, I shouldn't be piling on in all the anti-Spam discussions. Well, guess what? It's still disgusting, and ended up in the trash. :grin:

I still like tuna once in a while but that's about it. I used to depend on them quite a bit for camping trips.

Recently, on a whim, I decided to give Spam a chance. Decided since I hadn't tasted it since I was a kid, I shouldn't be piling on in all the anti-Spam discussions. Well, guess what? It's still disgusting, and ended up in the trash. :grin:

I tried Spam again a few years ago. Same result as you, though.....I think I fed it to the dog.

I'm sure some food nazi will tell me I should raise my own cow, give him belly rub massage and then kill and butcher him withmy own hands to make my own authentic corned beef but this is a casserole recipe from the 50's or 60's so it requires canned science and honestly it needs that texture of the spam like meat because it gets mixed with rice bell pepper and onions, wouldn't work with fancy pants "real" corned beef.

So what about you, what's your most recent canned meat.?

Spam-Bushwick-04012015.jpg

Use to take this camping and even ate it at home every now and then. Probably been 15 years since I last had it. Pour this shit in a frying pan and fry it up with plenty of pepper. After a couple minutes toss in a couple of eggs and scramble together until the eggs are done. Damn good. BP goes up just looking at it though.

th

Back