Canned bread is a real thing.

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
My kids were watching Spongebob, and there was a joke about canned bread. My wife said she used to eat canned bread all the time as a kid. I had to google it, but canned bread is a real thing. Who knew? Have you ever heard of this, or eaten it?

9j708dx.jpg

I have heard of it. It was an ingredient on "Chopped". I've never seen it in a store.

My wife said she used to eat it as a kid. She says it tastes like regular brown bread, but is a little bit sweeter than normal bread.

Have heard of it, have not tried it.

I guess after The Big One, the people with stashes of canned bread will be laughing at the rest of us while we starve.

I always loved how potted meat had to put it on the can that it is food product. Just in case you start doubting it.

Reactions: Tig
I really first noticed the canned bread when I moved up here to NH.

I got some, just to try it.
It was OK......honestly a little funky, but edible.
Not terrible, not great......I'd obviously rather have "real" bread.

Canned bread would make a great addition to a "hurricane/snowstorm supply" cache. You know......when you load up on stuff in case the electricity and stuff goes out for a few days.

I really first noticed the canned bread when I moved up here to NH.

I got some, just to try it.
It was OK......honestly a little funky, but edible.
Not terrible, not great......I'd obviously rather have "real" bread.

Canned bread would make a great addition to a "hurricane/snowstorm supply" cache. You know......when you load up on stuff in case the electricity and stuff goes out for a few days.

Pretty much this. I only noticed it after a co worker from NH mentioned it as Boston brown bread. I bought it and tried it. She said they sometimes use it as an ingredient for some desert. I guess I could it cut up into bread pudding or something. :shrug:

Living in northern New England you take for granted that everyone eats Beans and hot dogs with canned brown bread. Kinda like fluffer nutters.

To be fair though I loved potted meat and Vienna sausages as a kid. Couldn't get enough of that shit. Probably explains a lot actually.

I've heard canned bread is a northern New England kind of thing. I grew up in northern NH, in the same town as my wife, yet I never have heard of canned bread. That kind of adds to the weirdness of the whole thing for me. Maybe my parents were anti canned bread, or maybe they didn't know what it was (they were transplants to NH, and not even born in the US).

I've heard canned bread is a northern New England kind of thing. I grew up in northern NH, in the same town as my wife, yet I never have heard of canned bread. That kind of adds to the weirdness of the whole thing for me. Maybe my parents were anti canned bread, or maybe they didn't know what it was (they were transplants to NH, and not even born in the US).

I don't know of anyone who eats it "all the time", but they sell it in the grocery store, so I guess someone's buying it.

My sister in law is from upstate NY, and she says her mom uses it all the time to make raisin/bread pudding.

I also heard it is used as a dessert, snack type thing slathered with home-made jams/jellies on it.

I tried it as regular bread with beef stew. It was good soaked in the stew. On its own, it was a little funky. Definitely a thick, stick to your ribs kind of thing.

Wife is going to buy some for me to try next time she goes to the grocery store.

Back