Canned Beer

yabba

Weird Pick Butt Person
The times, they are a-changing - I realized the other day that the majority of beer I buy these-a-days is in cans. It's because the beers I'm enjoying are distributed this way rather than bottles (there are still some that I buy in bottles), but a nice bonus is the extra room for cool/cheese-a-rific artwork (kinda like LPs versus cds), like the one I've having right now:

IMG_20160404_200555_zpsjk7rsxcs.jpg

edit: just realized this probably should have gone in 'food and drink'...

Canned beer is really picking up in popularity among craft brews these days. No light damage to beer and the recycling angle mongooz raises is as good a reason as any to buy in cans.

I agree the can designs of some good microbreweries are pretty darn cool and way nicer than the paper labels on bottles.

If you want me to move the thread to food and drink, let me know.

Man, to me beer in a can still tastes...cany. Maybe it's in my head.

That said, I'll still take a good beer in a can over blah beer in a bottle.

Canned beer is really picking up in popularity among craft brews these days. No light damage to beer and the recycling angle mongooz raises is as good a reason as any to buy in cans.

I agree the can designs of some good microbreweries are pretty darn cool and way nicer than the paper labels on bottles.

If you want me to move the thread to food and drink, let me know.
lighter weight and easier/less worry about breakage for things like camping, etc too.

moving would be great, thanks!

It's probably in your head - modern cans are actually lined, so the beer doesn't actually contact metal.

Will move and leave a temporary 1 day redirect on the main page so people who already posted can find the thread.

I really like glass, but I sure do like the new designs, like the recycling convenience (glass is not curb side in my county due to transport costs), and we are outside a lot, so cans are convenient that way.

Cans are fully lined and the beer isn't in contact with metal

Not to mention lighter and cheaper to ship plus I've seen it mentioned that a typical canning line used for craft beer has a lower chance of introducing oxygen into the beer than many bottling lines. A plus/minus, would be that its a less efficient insulator so you can chill canned beer quicker & easier than glass but it will also warm up quicker.

Lots of craft breweries here are starting to use cans. I prefer bottle but cans don't bother me a bit. Several of my fave breweries out here only use cans.

I love getting good beer in cans. its great for tailgating, festivals and outdoors.

I don't think it tastes any better or worse than bottles. I think that is your eyes thinking for your tastebuds and preconceived notions you may have over the years.

today's edition of Pretty Beer Cans of the Midwest:

8682c84d-fab8-4ea7-856c-03dca5605559_zpst7qrg9qb.jpg

Yes, 90% of my beer drinking seems to happen fairly late at night in my office these days...

When the Colorado breweries started switching to cans last year a few of them used cheap cans that ruined the beer. I’ve started seeing those in bottles again. But I haven’t have any trouble with the beers that made sure to do it right.

lighter weight and easier/less worry about breakage for things like camping, etc too.

moving would be great, thanks!

This...I started noticing craft brews in cans back in 2010. I specifically remember that because in 2010 the first craft beers I bought in cans was Dales pale ale and some Blonde I can't remember the name of. I specificall bought them for a camping trip I went on by myself at an elevation of 10, 400 ft. I drank about 4 after hiking and smoked a couple bowls and at that elevation it doesn't take much. I "passed out" and like 6:30 pm (it was Mid August)and I woke at like 4 am with the worst headache blowing chunks :embarrassed:

so anyway yes cans are better becasue they can bang around in an ice chest no problem and the pack away better noth new or for the trash/recycle. I generally buy in cans now and actually look for cans. I don't notice any taste difference ( I think it used to be in my head...cans vs bottles). fwiw though I generally buy Budweiser or PBR these days but the last couple beer purchases were "Barrio Blonde" out of Tucson and Today I bought a 12 of Rolling Rock...yes Rolling Rock in the can, the cheap beer that used to be hard to get out west in the 1990's (kinda the coors of PA). I think more and mnore are making cans these days because it's like anything else in the "craft" beer business...very trendy so it's monkey see monkey do just like their love of overly hopped beer...part of the reason I went to Buttwiper and the like as a protest originally then I figured I don't hate 'mericuh and whats more 'mericuh than Buttwiper , Coors, and PBT :embarrassed: BTW I genuinely think the old (original) Buddweiser cans were one of the best designs ever, that old fashioned label was great and the new labels suck, probably designed by teh Chinese :cop:

the end.

Last edited:
Back