can you drive a horse?

i mean i dont want to just fart around in a circle i wanna be able to be good at it.
how long does that take? like she said maybe a few months to be able to go fast...

I have ridden, and your woman friend it not totally wrong about horses learning to go where you want them to go without any movement from the reins, but the horse has to be well trianed. If so, then knee pressure can guide a horse (takes a well trained horse, and a well trained rider).

Horses don't have to be feared, but you should never take them for granted, because they will take the upper hand if you let them, just like other animals. When I move around a horse, I always let them know where I am by laying a hand on them as I move around. You akso don't let them corner you, because they are big animals, and they will react to you as they do with other horses, and you aren't big enough to handle that. I was cleaning my horse's stall when my sister went in to pet the horse. When I stopped hearing anything, I went to see why, and my sister had gotten between the horse and the wall of the stable, with the horse leaning on her. She couldn't breath, and the horse could have killed her - completely without that intent. I smacked the horse, gave him a big shove, and he moved. My sister simply forgot that a horse isn't a dog. The size needs to be respected.

As to being thrown by a horse, my mother taught me on my first ride, when the horse started to buck, to turn the horses head - hard. That throws them off balance, and they stop. From then on, whenever my horse went into an irregular gait, in an attempt to buck, I simply turned his head, and that ended it. Once he knew that I could control him, we became one as horse and rider. I never took him for granted, and I loved that horse.

BTW, different breeds of horse have different temperments, just like dogs. Some are more difficult than others. Arabs are known for being very "spirited." Read that as very difficult to control. My horse was half Arab. He was always a challenge, but he was also lots of fun.

It sounds like your friend is a good horsewoman, so she can probably teach you well. Get it a shot, but never forget to be aware of the horse.

yeah ive seen people do that turn hard when they start to get jumpy or whatever. never knew thats why they did that.

she said the main thing is to not be nervous or act scared as they will sense that.
she said her boyfriend is afraid of it and never rides.

I should also say that horses are indeed smart. When you put a saddle on a horse, you have to tighten a cinch starp around their belly. Horses will expand their bellies when you cinch the strap, so that when you are done, and they relax their belly, the strap will be loose. You have to cinch the strap, walk them a round, and then cinch the strap again. Otherwise the saddle will be loose, and could slip.

[QUOTE="When you put a saddle on a horse, you have to tighten a cinch starp around their belly. Horses will expand their bellies when you cinch the strap, so that when you are done, and they relax their belly, the strap will be loose. You have to cinch the strap, walk them a round, and then cinch the strap again. Otherwise the saddle will be loose, and could slip.[/QUOTE]

ha thats pretty cool. a similar way to get out of handcuffs.

i mean i dont want to just fart around in a circle i wanna be able to be good at it.
how long does that take? like she said maybe a few months to be able to go fast...
A lot depends on your balance and natural ability, like any physical activity. Going fast does not equal being a good rider, and a ton of horse work is "farting around in a circle". Just have fun, if that's all you want to do for now. You'll know soon enough if it's something you want to pursue.

It is very much a lifestyle thing, though. Any horse owner who's worth a damn is out here more days of the week than not, and most actively seek instruction or advice when they can get it.

damn i wish, a good friend of mine who just died suddenly last year (RIP)
was still around. he had several horses. he knew his shit too, he knew how to shoe them even
which I think most people pay someone to do that.
and I know the commitment, we would be hanging out and
hed say to one of his daughters, "whats the temp?"
"yeah we have to get Rosebuds coat on" and then theyd drive all the way back to Carolina to put a coat on the horse.

Also, horses walk, trot, canter, and gallop. Walking is easy. Trotting is very bumpy, and you learn not to just be sitting in the saddle when they trot. A canter in a nice easy lope, and like being on a rocking horse. Galloping, which is rare unless you have a wide open space, is nearly effortless, and can male you feel so awesome that you forget to be "in control." If you never forget that, you'll be fine.

Oh, and horses can be scared of the weirdest things. My horse was scared of water. He once refused to cross a ribbon of water no wider than 2". Really? Silly horse!

Also, horses walk, trot, canter, and gallop. Walking is easy. Trotting is very bumpy, and you learn not to just be sitting in the saddle when they trot. A canter in a nice easy lope, and like being on a rocking horse. Galloping, which is rare unless you have a wide open space, is nearly effortless, and can male you feel so awesome that you forget to be "in control." If you never forget that, you'll be fine.

Oh, and horses can be scared of the weirdest things. My horse was scared of water. He once refused to cross a ribbon of water no wider than 2". Really? Silly horse!

yes i want to gallop really fast, and then jump off.

I know they get spooked easily, and ive heard of them running into tree braches to get you off their back. (lol asshole)

Im pretty light (140lbs) would that make them more OK with me on their back? I imagine for me that would be like carrying an empty back pack around.
i imagine they dont like heavy people riding them, hell I wouldnt.

and I know the commitment, we would be hanging out and
hed say to one of his daughters, "whats the temp?"
"yeah we have to get Rosebuds coat on" and then theyd drive all the way back to Carolina to put a coat on the horse.

Yes. Once you bond with a horse, it's just like that. They can be a stubborn pain some days, but they can also be you
best bud. They more time you spend with them, and get to know them - and they get to know you - the sweeter it gets. Will they still try to unseat you with a low hanging limb? Sure, but then you know that, so you don't let them do it. Once they know that you know, they'll be cool.

ok but can i bond with someone elses horse? or do horses not swing that way?

i know dogs can be like that-only interested in their owner and act like assholes to everyone else.

Like us, they prefer hanging out, without anyone telling them what to do. Once they know you'll be there for them, they'll be there for you, too. Always treat a horse with love and respect. BTW, they love carrots, and apples. Just make sure you offer it in an open, flat hand. That way they can't mistakenly catch a finger. And if they nozzle you with their upper lip, your in!

You may not bond completely with someone else's horse, but if you are confident, and learn what to do, you will be respected by the horse. Like I said, though, different breeds of horses have different temperments, so just know what you're dealing with.

I wouldn't approach a German Shepherd that I didn't know. But if the owner of the dog introduced us, and the dog accepted me, then we could be friends, even though I would never be it's master.

makes sense...she told me what kind of horse it was but i forget. it was some long name though. she said its 19 yo and 15 and a half hands?...from the pictures it looks big but she said its not.

its not a nag or anything, pretty cool looking , well kept horse.
shes loaded so...

I enjoy it. It's been a long time but I used to ride okay, and I've been thrown too.

Also, this:

i know dogs can be like that-only interested in their owner and act like assholes to everyone else.

Ok, I'm a guy like you...never owned a horse.
But a lot of family members do so I've spent some small amount of time with them and have gotten to know three different horses well enough they recognized me when I showed up.
Kinda like a dog, a horse will get to know people other than the regulars but won't bond with an outsider the same. Two of those horses I got along fine with. They seemed to like me and took it easy on a noob.
The third one was actually the first. I was little when I met him and he spooked me. He never forgot that and he and I never did get along. Don't think I ever rode that horse at all. Weird.
Horses have distinct personalities. Some are laid back and friendly, others gregarious, still others mischievous and others yet that are just plain mean.
A good owner probably wouldn't put you with a horse you couldn't get along with.
Like a dog, make friends with them and remember they're waaaay bigger than you. It'll be fun.

My mom's half-brother raises horses down in central Indiana.

The one time we went down there and actually went over to his 'ranch' (several miles away from his house) he had a horse out in the fenced in pasture that wouldn't leave me alone, but in a good way :) Any time I went up to the fence, the horse would trot right over to me and nuzzle it's nose all over me, wanted to be paid attention to.

I have no idea what kind of charm I had over that horse. Usually when I've been horse-back riding, the horses act like they don't wan't me up there. Not trying to throw me or anything, but you can tell they were thinking "I gotta ride that darned trail again? And with this city-slicker on top of me to boot? *Sigh* "

Last edited:
Back