Can we talk about cheap, Chinese guitar cables?

I don't believe in cheap cables. I don't believe in expensive cables either. Get the next level up from a major brand that has a warranty. Planet Waves, MXR, Fender, etc. Something like the Planet Waves American Stage. They'll last, and if there's an issue, at least there's a decent company to back them up.

I've been using the same pile of Fender California series cables for 100 years. No problems and they've been abused.

I have two guitar cables. My first one is from Rose Guitars in Hendersonville, TN, which has not existed for decades. I got the cable in about 1991. One day the shop was just gone, and there were rumors of an insurance scam. The cable has a short in it.
I get the cables,and most of my gear from Drum City Guitar Land.
The shop has been running for 52 years.
I was looking around the shop the first timeI walked in.
Jason was knocking off 20% to 30% off of everything I checked out.

It is also only 2 blocks away.
:thu:
* edit *
I just checked my unopened 20' right angle cable. They are made by Road Hog.
PM if anyone wants it.

Last edited:
I get the cables,and most of my gear from Drum City Guitar Land.
The shop has been running for 52 years.
I was looking around the shop the first timeI walked in.
Jason was knocking off 20% to 30% off of everything I checked out.

It is also only 2 blocks away.
:thu:

I have to drive all the way across the city for a local shop. Maybe I should start one.

By this point in history, I assume (but do not know) that there must be an inexpensive brand of guitar cable that everyone agrees is way better than it should be for the money? Wachoo like?
I've really fallen for Quantum cables. They're good quality, a little thicker so they don't twist up and tangle nearly that much, take a beating, and Elderly Instruments sells them fairly inexpensively.

I've really fallen for Quantum cables. They're good quality, a little thicker so they don't twist up and tangle nearly that much, take a beating, and Elderly Instruments sells them fairly inexpensively.

I've been using Quantum cables for the past 20 years. We sold them at the music school, so it was easy. About 5 years ago, I ordered new cables from their higher quality line and have been using them since. I expect them to last another 10 years.

I had a California cable go bad. Called Fender and they replaced it. That was over 10 years ago and all is well.

They are. I think they are around $50 for a 10' cable. They look very well made but I'm not sure I wanna drop that kind of coin on a cable.

It depends on your concept of expensive. I've never purchased one, either, but I just dropped close to $40 on a 10-foot Spectraflex cable. Well made, good quality cable.

It's kind of odd to me that people who wouldn't think twice about dropping $2,000-plus on a guitar balk at a $40 or $50 cable.

It depends on your concept of expensive. I've never purchased one, either, but I just dropped close to $40 on a 10-foot Spectraflex cable. Well made, good quality cable.

It's kind of odd to me that people who wouldn't think twice about dropping $2,000-plus on a guitar balk at a $40 or $50 cable.
You can put me In that category. Lol
However, for the most part a $2K guitar is a lifetime investment. A cable is well, a cable.

I think I would spend $40 on a Spectraflex cable. They're reputable. Not so sure about Rattlesnake.

I think I would spend $40 on a Spectraflex cable. They're reputable. Not so sure about Rattlesnake.

I think they are a new company and their cables look good. They make one called the "snake head" that has a longer shrink wrapped end to thread through your strap.

snake-head141229--lg.jpg

I may buy one to try them out.

Here is Just Nick talking about them.

Last edited:
I'm asking b/c there are a variety of guitar cables on Amazon prime for cheap.

For example: https://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Gu...8&qid=1505566991&sr=8-9&keywords=guitar+cable

But I'm wondering if there is something cheaper? Like Monoprice or something, which might be fine?

I'm going to go look at my options on Ali Express! :idea:

I have a bunch of their XLR cables. Good stuff, worth spending just a little more. Clicked on your link and looked at some, they USED to mention the connectors were Neutrik. They just say they are metal now.

I used to live on Monoprice for HDMI cables, until the rest of the world sheepishly admitted there's no reason for them to cost more that 1$/ft. They have an awesome set of earbuds that are like $10. I bought a pile of there 1/4" TR cables, figured I'd stock up for experimentation, visitors, etc. Useless. The connectors somehow don't fit nearly anything, I'm lucky if I can find a guitar and an amp I can connect with one cable. Pedals? Forget it.

I bought some Monster cables, stupid deal of the day. I swear they are just a hair smaller than any normal plug.

I've been using the same two monster cables for several (10+?) years now. I also have a few monster mic cables.

They've all been super reliable.

I bought some Monster cables, stupid deal of the day. I swear they are just a hair smaller than any normal plug.

Used to be the other way around. They were a little large, and tended to wreck your jacks for any other cable. I'm sure it was entirely inadvertent, and not cynically damaging people's gear in a premeditated effort to create an illusion that their product was more reliable than others.

Used to be the other way around. They were a little large, and tended to wreck your jacks for any other cable. I'm sure it was entirely inadvertent, and not cynically damaging people's gear in a premeditated effort to create an illusion that their product was more reliable than others.
There is a girlfriend joke in there somewhere.
:embarrassed:hmy:

There is a girlfriend joke in there somewhere.
:embarrassed:hmy:

"Oh. Where you going?... Oh, you men are all alike. Seven or eight quick ones and then you're out with the boys to boast and brag. YOU BETTER KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. Oh... I think I love him."

"

Back