Can we talk about cheap, Chinese guitar cables?

Cheese Grits

Kick Henry Jackassowski
By this point in history, I assume (but do not know) that there must be an inexpensive brand of guitar cable that everyone agrees is way better than it should be for the money? Wachoo like?

I still like Planet Waves original cables. And Hosa pancake connector cables. Both pretty cheap, not sure of country of origin.

I use all Planet Waves Classic cables...I've had 2 go bad, one 10' with a 90 degree plug and one 6"patch cable...I think sometimes about upgrading to something better but I still have more than I need on hand so it's not really a necessity at this time...I used ProCo cables for years without complaint as well...I've used the "Musician's Gear" patch cables in the past and they were fine, but I've never used anything else of theirs...

For a hobbyist player pretty much anything that works is OK, but I think a gigging musician benefits from the better stuff that is available, plus the better cables often come with a free replacement warranty...

I'm asking b/c there are a variety of guitar cables on Amazon prime for cheap.

For example: https://www.amazon.com/GLS-Audio-Gu...8&qid=1505566991&sr=8-9&keywords=guitar+cable

But I'm wondering if there is something cheaper? Like Monoprice or something, which might be fine?

I'm going to go look at my options on Ali Express! :idea:
If you're looking for a "tweed" cable I have a 20' Fender in the box that I'm not using...we could work something out, maybe...

But I have little to no experience with the legion of cheap cables coming in from China these days, So I can be of no help to you there...

But I'm wondering if there is something cheaper? Like Monoprice or something, which might be fine?

I used to live on Monoprice for HDMI cables, until the rest of the world sheepishly admitted there's no reason for them to cost more that 1$/ft. They have an awesome set of earbuds that are like $10. I bought a pile of there 1/4" TR cables, figured I'd stock up for experimentation, visitors, etc. Useless. The connectors somehow don't fit nearly anything, I'm lucky if I can find a guitar and an amp I can connect with one cable. Pedals? Forget it.

Huh. Well, it looks like you can buy direct from China and get the same product for a few dollars less, but in my experience, ePacket shipping from China can take anywhere from a couple weeks to several months, just depending upon customs.

3f813a5f19a5125be0c4c985c96f55c5.png

If you're looking for a "tweed" cable I have a 20' Fender in the box that I'm not using...we could work something out, maybe...

But I have little to no experience with the legion of cheap cables coming in from China these days, So I can be of no help to you there...
Thanks, but I'm going to take a deep dive on cheap Chinese stuff to hopefully identify something that can become a fad.

I don't believe in cheap cables. I don't believe in expensive cables either. Get the next level up from a major brand that has a warranty. Planet Waves, MXR, Fender, etc. Something like the Planet Waves American Stage. They'll last, and if there's an issue, at least there's a decent company to back them up.

I've had good luck with the 2 Reverb cables I bought a while back when they were on sale.

I was at my folks house a couple of weekends ago and I plugged up my dad's Gretsch into his AC15. He is still using the same Whirlwind cable I gave him over 20 years ago. Now he doesn't gig or take his gear out of his house, but the cable still works with no issues.

I don't believe in cheap cables. I don't believe in expensive cables either. Get the next level up from a major brand that has a warranty. Planet Waves, MXR, Fender, etc. Something like the Planet Waves American Stage. They'll last, and if there's an issue, at least there's a decent company to back them up.

I don't believe in Beatles.

I was at my folks house a couple of weekends ago and I plugged up my dad's Gretsch into his AC15. He is still using the same Whirlwind cable I gave him over 20 years ago. Now he doesn't gig or take his gear out of his house, but the cable still works with no issues.

Have a whirlwind leader that I got when I bought my HRR Strat back in the way early 90s that is still a daily use cable that has stood up to all sorts of abuse. I really like how they mold the strain relief over the jack body; makes a crazy durable assembly.

I use cables from a local shop.
The cable has the store name on it.I have no idea who makes them,but reasonable price.

This.

You'll end up spending just as much eventually.

I use cables from a local shop.
The cable has the store name on it.I have no idea who makes them,but reasonable price.

I have two guitar cables. My first one is from Rose Guitars in Hendersonville, TN, which has not existed for decades. I got the cable in about 1991. One day the shop was just gone, and there were rumors of an insurance scam. The cable has a short in it.

Back