Help! Can a solid state amp loose it's sparkle?

Bob411

thrumming with potential
Yamaha Hundred b212. It sounded great. Very Fenderish. Now it doesn't. Not bad, if you didn't know the amp, you wouldn't think there was something wrong with it, you would think, it's just not that great/has no magic.

I've took it apart, cleaned all the pots and jacks, tried wiggling speaker connections.

Tried Google, everybody says it's time to replace the tubes. I can't. It's solid state.

Before I call Dave the amp guy and, sound like a loon to him, thought I would ask here.

I would think that capacitors could possibly wear out, but first I would check the speakers. Run it to an external cab. maybe the speakers are just worn out and losing their punch.

Speakers old and tired? Can you plug it into another cab to see if that makes a difference?

Internally, are any capacitors going bad? Might need some replacements if they have started swelling.

Edit: LOL, hadn't hit Post for a few minutes and Baimun beat me to it.

the oil in the capacitors has likely dried out.

prolly need an oil change and have the transistor filters replaced. :thu:
:grin:

Actually I've heard that JC120's can have "component drift" over the years and sound different. Makes sense to me. Maybe someone just needs to go through the caps and resistors and make sure they are still the proper values.

Actually I've heard that JC120's can have "component drift" over the years and sound different. Makes sense to me. Maybe someone just needs to go through the caps and resistors and make sure they are still the proper values.
This.

There is a very noticeable difference in "Sparkle" between my JC 55 and my JC 77. The 77 even has a 4th "high treble" control that the 55 doesn't, but the 55 is significantly brighter.

The 77 shows its age much, much more than the 55 too, which I suspect has nearly everything to do with that.

Speakers aging would certainly account for some degradation in frequency response too, but those silver coned Roland speakers are a crucial part of the magic and ungodly expensive to replace... especially in the less common 8" and 10" sizes found in those two models. I can get a pair of the 12" JC 120 OEM replacements for less than 1 of the 8s.

Can a solid state amp loose it's sparkle?

Can a solid state amp loose its sparkle?

It's

It's is short for it is or it has. This is a 100% rule. It cannot be used for anything else. If you cannot expand it's to it is or it has, then it is wrong.
Its
Its is like his and her.

His is used for a masculine possessor (owner). (These are his pies.)
Her is used for feminine possessor. (These are her flowers.)
Its is used for neuter possessor. (These are its footprints.)

Examples:
  • It's been raining for a week, and now it's starting to snow.
    bultick.gif

(It has been raining....it is starting to snow)
  • It's one of the hardest courses in it's history.
    bulx.gif

(The first it's is correct. The second should be its.)
  • I think the company wants to have its cake and eat it.
    bultick.gif

(its – possessive form. This is correct.)
  • The reef shark chases it's prey through the coral.
    bulx.gif

(should be its, i.e., the possessive form. You cannot expand this to it is or it has.)
  • I'm astounded by people who want to know the universe when it's so hard to find your way around Chinatown.
    bultick.gif
    (Woody Allen)
  • A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    bultick.gif
    (Winston Churchill)
  • There is nothing in the world like the devotion of a married woman. It's a thing no married man knows anything about.
    bultick.gif
    (Oscar Wilde)
  • Whenever cannibals are on the brink of starvation, Heaven, in its infinite mercy, sends them a fat
    missionary.
    bultick.gif
    (Oscar Wilde)
  • Constant company wears out its welcome.
    bultick.gif
  • A frog can't empty its stomach by vomiting. To empty its stomach contents, a frog throws up its stomach first, so the stomach is dangling out of its mouth. Then the frog uses its forearms to dig out all of the stomach's contents and then swallows the stomach back down again.
    bultick.gif
  • A completely blind chameleon will still take on the colours
    flag_uk.gif
    (colors
    flag_us.gif
    ) of its environment.
    bultick.gif

Can a solid state amp loose its sparkle?

It's

It's is short for it is or it has. This is a 100% rule. It cannot be used for anything else. If you cannot expand it's to it is or it has, then it is wrong.
Its
Its is like his and her.

His is used for a masculine possessor (owner). (These are his pies.)
Her is used for feminine possessor. (These are her flowers.)
Its is used for neuter possessor. (These are its footprints.)

Examples:
  • It's been raining for a week, and now it's starting to snow.
    bultick.gif

(It has been raining....it is starting to snow)
  • It's one of the hardest courses in it's history.
    bulx.gif

(The first it's is correct. The second should be its.)
  • I think the company wants to have its cake and eat it.
    bultick.gif

(its – possessive form. This is correct.)
  • The reef shark chases it's prey through the coral.
    bulx.gif

(should be its, i.e., the possessive form. You cannot expand this to it is or it has.)
  • I'm astounded by people who want to know the universe when it's so hard to find your way around Chinatown.
    bultick.gif
    (Woody Allen)
  • A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    bultick.gif
    (Winston Churchill)
  • There is nothing in the world like the devotion of a married woman. It's a thing no married man knows anything about.
    bultick.gif
    (Oscar Wilde)
  • Whenever cannibals are on the brink of starvation, Heaven, in its infinite mercy, sends them a fat
    missionary.
    bultick.gif
    (Oscar Wilde)
  • Constant company wears out its welcome.
    bultick.gif
  • A frog can't empty its stomach by vomiting. To empty its stomach contents, a frog throws up its stomach first, so the stomach is dangling out of its mouth. Then the frog uses its forearms to dig out all of the stomach's contents and then swallows the stomach back down again.
    bultick.gif
  • A completely blind chameleon will still take on the colours
    flag_uk.gif
    (colors
    flag_us.gif
    ) of its environment.
    bultick.gif
If you're going to go there, go all in.

No mention of "Loose" in place of "lose"?

Weaksauce bro.

You're like the Hitler Youth of Grammar Nazis. You lack real focus and dedication.

Thanks for the ideas. It didn't gradually get worse. One day it was fine, then it wasn't. I'll try speakers first.

Been in a rush. Discovered the Yamaha was sick Thursday, after work, got home and, tried out the Mojo Hand pedal. Saturday, had a gig running sound. Gig as defined by, playing in somebody else's garage. Wanted the Yamaha working for that, for son. Catching my breath now, I still don't understand how the speakers went bad.

Amps are usually in my utility room. The half way in the ground part of a tri-level. For the last 2? months, out in the garage. I tested to see if it was the speakers by using a double female to the Ampeg that sat right next to the Yamaha, in the utility room, and the garage. It just doesn't make sense that they suddenly "wore out". Knox in the Box's comment, " damp cab", would make so much more sense for such a sudden change but, speakers that sound good were in the same environment.

Back