Question: Camera guys Canon T5, Nikon D3300, or Nikon D3200?

GomezAddams

Wandering and wondering
Staff member
The wife wants to get me a DSLR for christmas (our trusty old Canon S5 has been giving "lens error" a few times). I've used my daughter's T2i several times, and it seems like a fine camera, but I hear good things about the Nikon D3200.

I assume that if I like the Canon T2i, I'd like the T5?

These seem like great deals:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-18-55mm...=UTF8&qid=1419011805&sr=8-5&keywords=canon+t5

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital...F8&qid=1419012203&sr=8-2&keywords=nikon+d3300

Are those longer zooms in those kits any good?

Suggestions? Ideas?

I'm a Nikon guy. I'd not go for the Non-VR zoom, but that's a good price. I have the D3000 with the VR lenses I bought several years back. It does the job. I do want to upgrade the body to get the video and live LCD capability.

My wife has had a Canon T2 for several years now, and it has served us well. More features than we'll ever need or use. I've read that the T5 has only modest improvements over the T3, so you may be able to save some money by buying the older model.

I don't know much about DSLRs, but both Canon and Nikon are well-regarded brands, so I don't think you can go too wrong either way.

I use Canon, but mostly because I like the button layout and interface better....it is just familiar to me as I have had several Canons. Nikon makes a fine camera, so either brand choice is a good one.

My dad has a T5 that we bought for him last year for his birthday. He really loves it. That little camera has literally been around the world over the last year on my parent's retirement travels. He has captured some pretty amazing photos with that camera and the kit lens (17-55, I think). I've used it a few times at family parties and stuff and it takes great pictures and video. It feels like a fancier version of my old t1i. I still keep my t1 as, like the t5, it is very compact for an SLR, at least compared to my 70D. The t1i I have has given me years of reliable service and still works great.

My wife enjoys her T4i a lot. I have a 40D what works fine for me. Lots of lenses and other goodies for these cameras.

I have that Nikon 3200 and the telephoto lens is better than the shorter lens. I'm probably going to add a wide angle lens as well, but I appreciate how quick the shutter is (my old camera couldn't capture motion for shit).

This one was taken with the telephoto while I was inside of a van... the driver rolled his window down, I leaned forward and snagged this shot out the window.

10487399_10202467386194454_317229614898398430_n.jpg

This one I photoshop-stitched together from a series of pictures taken by my wife pointing the camera and holding the shutter down and burst-take the shots.

10487425_310803175743446_325651417347337207_n.jpg

I can't speak to the Canon or the other Nikon models, but you can get a brand new D5100 kit on Amazon for the same money. That's what I've been using for the last 2 years and I'm thrilled with mine.

Back