Help! Calling all Gretsch Enthusiasts

Pine Apple Slim

Armchair Expert
Pro Line Gretsch fever has struck. My Electromatic 5120 is a great guitar, but after 5 years of really enjoying it Im ready to go for the real deal.
Im gonna post a few models and y'all who love Gretsches tell me your thoughts.
First off, Im pretty sure I want Filtertrons. HS or TVJ.
I really don't want an orange 6120. Don't want a Seltzer model, cause I like my tone control and I like the Gretsch wiring scheme. Seltzer models are stripped down to a pu selector and 1 vol knob. Orange, well, theres enough of em in the world I think without me owning one.
Falcon Bling has always kinda turned me off but Im warming up to it. I always thought I wasn't a flashy enough guitarist to justify a flashy guitar. But lately Im thinking, hell Im almost 60 years old, who cares what other people, esp guitarists, might think. Gretsch is famous for bling, might as well embrace it. Anyway here are the models that interest me the most.

1. Center Block Silver or White Falcon. Im thinking this might be the most versatile Gretsch going as far as tones for just about any type of music. Semi hollow, 24.75ish scale length.

http://www.gretschguitars.com/produ...le-cutaway-ebony-fingerboard-with-case-white/

http://www.gretschguitars.com/produ...le-cutaway-ebony-fingerboard-with-case-black/

2. Anniversary. It only comes in green. Not my fav color but I could live with it. I like the stripped down simplicity of the Annie. Id prob go with the players edition with the Filtertrons vs vintage select model with single coil TVJ HiLoTrons. But Id loose the tone switch for a tone knob. Doesn't seem a big deal to me but some folks love their "mud" switch. The HiLos sound great, but not sure they could get the dark jazz or hum bucking"woman" neck pick up tone I really like to use at times. 24.75" scale.

http://www.gretschguitars.com/produ...bigsby-filtertron-pickups-2-tone-smoke-green/

3. Country Club. Only comes in Cadillac Green, which I happen to love. 25.5" scale, solid spruce top.
http://www.gretschguitars.com/produ...-with-bigsby-tv-jones-cadillac-green-lacquer/

4. Alrighty now, lets get really crazy. Penguin, in Safire Blue sparkle. Who needs a boring ol black Jet? The Falcon and Jet had a baby and it was the Penguin.

http://www.gretschguitars.com/produ...bony-fingerboard-midnight-sapphire-with-case/

As far as Bigsbys go, I can take em or leave em. Yea I know a Gretsch is "supposed" to have one, but I also love the Caddilac Gretsch tailpiece. If Im gonna have a Bigsby, I like the V Cut B6 the best, like on the guitars shown.

So Gretsch owners chime in please. Esp if you own one of these models Id like to talk. I know @ellengtrgrl is a big Country Club fan. Any body else, tell me what you like,or don't, fav color, recommend a model, tell me Im batshit crazy, whatever.

BTW Im gonna be in Denver in a couple of weeks and plan to go by Wildwood Guitars. It could become a very expensive trip, lol.

BTW Im gonna be in Denver in a couple of weeks and plan to go by Wildwood Guitars. It could become a very expensive trip, lol.

In case you haven’t been before, Wildwood can be a let down. Most of their business is mail order. So the bulk of the building is just used to store guitars and shipping boxes. The showroom is tiny and they often don’t put the special guitars on display. They will pull stuff out for you to try, tho. I live about ten minutes down the road.

You know -- Gretsches are one of the few guitars where over-the-top bling doesn't turn me off. Perhaps it's because the very designs tend to be sort of over-the-top and quirky anyway -- what with knobs and switches strewn randomly about, etc. That said, I find the Silver Falcon almost heartbreakingly beautiful, but also love the Country Club and Penguin.

I like em all except the Anniversary because of the hideous color. The Penguin is interesting though.

Every link I went down was "yep. That one".

Then you get to the penguin. If you don't get the penguin I will have Mark ban you.

I want that Penguin bad, like buy one, trade me for a banshee or something special bad.

Wildwood has one. Ima gonna hold it at least.
The Silver CB Falcon was my first choice, but white is growing on me.

2410700805_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

I love Gretsch guitars, but I can't do the hollow body. My dad has the 6121 and it is killer.

Don't worry about Wildwood. Just tell them what you like and guitars will appear by magic. I mentioned I had several Rickenbackers and suddenly a 67 Rick 310 appeared in my hands. I have one current Proline, a 6122 SP Country Classic. The one with the mutes. Beautiful guitar. TVJones pups. Perfect from one end to the other. Gretsch builds as nice a guitar as anybody out there.

You know what I'm going to say.

My G6196-1959T Country Club
G6196Y-1959%20June%2028%202016_zpsytone8b4.jpg

If not, the Penguin is cool, as is the center block Falcon. Oh and if you want something more Annie-like but without the mud switch, may I suggest a the 6119 Players Edition?

2401412859_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Damn those are expensive! I've always wanted a 6120 Horton Heat signature. Along your train of thought, who cares what anyone else things especially guitarists...i wouldn't count out the orange jobbies just because lots of other people play them. there's a reason lots of other people play them.

I love the penguins, but if i were to get a top of the line gretsch, i'd go for one of the big hollow/semi-hollow ones personally.

Back