California’s Drought Changes Habits in the Kitchen

That was interesting. However, perhaps if the rice and cotton farmers in the Central Valley would lay off for a year and other farmers would stop using land that used to be used for annuals to plant almonds and grapes that would do about 100x more than anything restaurants would do

"Philadelphia Cousins, Julia Child’s niece, can’t seem to find a California avocado in Colorado, where she lives."
She must be pretty f#cking stupid cause you can get avocados everywhere now. Gottem here in FL. $1 each.

It's interesting how similar the coasts are. In Cali ( in the desert ) we were very aware about how much water we used for dishwashers, bathing, yard etc. as it was all piped in from an aquifer.
Here in FL, we all have wells and pumps using ground water for irrigation.. Use the piped water for the yard and it costs you a fortune.
We rarely boil anymore. I do fish on the grill or in the oven, and we probably do more laundry than is really needed each week.
Hell, as long as I just rinse off, I can tool around in a tee and commando board shorts here and no one cares. YEEEEHAAAWWW!

Last edited:
The important part to remember is that this is likely just the beginning of what's happening in California. I've been through drought times in California, but this one's a real bad one, in part because the state's water resources never completely caught up after the last dought.

This is a bad drought, but it's not the worse Cali has seen. Also, the news people on the TV assured me that the possible El Nino event was for sure going to happen. Weather people are never wrong. :embarrassed:

The amazing thing is that we can pipe oil all the way from Alaska to the east coast through the land of Peeker.

But water to help out in California? Fuck you guys. These pipes are for BLACK GOLD!

Seriously, if we're going to be assholes with the environment and melt the polar ice caps the least we can do is pipe the water melting off them to California.

Back