Cab Sim Pedals

That’s a Cabinet sim pedal not really an amp sim. I’ve never tried one of those. I wonder what kind of difference it makes.

That’s a Cabinet sim pedal not really an amp sim. I’ve never tried one of those. I wonder what kind of difference it makes.

I've been reading a lot of the TGP digital forum. From what I've read, cabinet modeling is really something called Impulse Response, or IR. This pedal is loaded with IRs. Pick your favorite amp-in-a-box pedal, say your BOSS Combo Drive, and run it into this pedal. From there, you can run direct to a PA or an FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) cab, and you don't have to bring an amp anymore.

I've been reading a lot of the TGP digital forum. From what I've read, cabinet modeling is really something called Impulse Response, or IR. This pedal is loaded with IRs. Pick your favorite amp-in-a-box pedal, say your BOSS Combo Drive, and run it into this pedal. From there, you can run direct to a PA or an FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) cab, and you don't have to bring an amp anymore.

Tone is in the PA now

Totally_jammin_out

Yep.
I'd be interested to hear this pedal in action. I currently use a Palmer PDI-09 (which is a cab sim but not an IR) between my Boss GT-8 and the PA. It sounds really great, but I'm always looking for cool new ways to do things.

If Tech 21 SansAmp stuff counts, I've been using it for about 20 years. A SansAmp GT2 into a PA gave me some decent tones, from Fender shimmer to Marshall crunch to Mesa Grind. I've still got a Fly Rig RK2, so I guess I'm still in this group.

For cabinet sims the stuff you really want is the Two Notes gear (the Torpedo Live is the bestseller at the moment). Not cheap by any stretch but haven't anything remotely as good.
The Captor (loadbox/DI/speaker sim) looks really nice for direct recording.

Yes.

For cabinet sims the stuff you really want is the Two Notes gear (the Torpedo Live is the bestseller at the moment). Not cheap by any stretch but haven't anything remotely as good.
The Captor (loadbox/DI/speaker sim) looks really nice for direct recording.

Not cheap is an understatement. :grin:

I can definitely see the advantages of being able to plug into the PA and leave the amp behind, but I think I'd miss the interaction with the amp too much to want to do it. There's just something about moving some air that I think I'd miss. Of course, I'm not a gigging musician, so maybe the advantages outweigh that. :shrug:

I can definitely see the advantages of being able to plug into the PA and leave the amp behind, but I think I'd miss the interaction with the amp too much to want to do it. There's just something about moving some air that I think I'd miss. Of course, I'm not a gigging musician, so maybe the advantages outweigh that. :shrug:
I gotta say, I play about 50/50 with/without an amp when I gig. As long as there's a wedge in front of me, blowing the guitar at my face, I don't notice much difference.

Also, on bigger stages, the second you move away from that "air", you're pretty much GONE anyway (as far as being able to hear yourself).

Also, on bigger stages, the second you move away from that "air", you're pretty much GONE anyway (as far as being able to hear yourself).

This is a major reason why I use in-ears whenever I can (even at band practice). You lose that "room feeling", but you can always hear yourself. And with less volume.

Some amps/cabs are extremely directional as well btw, the AC30 definitely being one of them.

Back