Bummer. End of a cool old airplane.

I thought I saw someone post a pic of this plane foundering in the surf earlier this week but could not find the thread. Ran across this article concerning what happened. Apparently the plane was restored in my hometown prior to the mishap. Bummer.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/07/02/3899059_movie-mishap-downs-classic-warplane.html?rh=1

1LTYE.AuSt.5.jpeg

25da65d0-66b3-4224-bd78-1afcbc6b3a9f-big1_480x270.jpg

wow that's sad. there aren't many of those old Grummans around any more.
one of my favorite planes is a Grumman Goose.....the little brother to that Catalina.

Yeah, but why the hatred for old Nick Cage?
Pretty sure HE didn't wreck the plane.
Because everything he's involved with, minus The Rock*, is a trainwreck. Now he's got a planewreck.

* = because Sean Connery would have killed him and Michael BaySPLOSION if the movie sucked.

Hmmm, seems like a pretty knee jerk response to just write the thing off without even seeing the damage. It certainly sucks, but from the story and the pics, I don't see any reason why a good restoration crew couldn't have that thing air worthy in a matter of months.

It's a simple matter of cost vs. Perceived value. No, on a strictly financial level, it's not a good investment.

That, however, has never really been much if any concern among the plethora of filthy stinking rich aviation enthusiasts who relish in restoring vintage planes regardless of cost in order to keep their legacy alive.

I know of a few guys in particular who wouldn't blink over dropping a million bucks into that thing.

Oh, and Nick Cage has taken more than his share of shitty movie rolls, but dude... Valley Girl.

I've had so much fun getting shitfaced in the theater while watching the National Treasure films that Nicholas Cage can pretty much do no wrong in my eyes.

I expected to see flaming wreckage- the plane is basically intact.Needs a second restoration, then keep the hollywood idiots away from it.

Reactions: OGG
Back