Bullseye/chip/crack repair

Steverino

black sheep
This technology seems to have made some decent strides lately, even for the DIYer.

I've got dozens of chips and stuff on the ol' S10, but no cracks @ 232K miles, but buy a new car and use I-10 to get to work and you might as well just grab handful of rocks and sling 'em hard as you can at your brand-new windscreen. :(

I got one on the far right side, about 10" long before I could get to the parts store and find a repair kit. My insurance has too high a deductible (need to fix that asap) and instead of calling a guy to come and fix it, I thought I'd try it myself. After my cussin'/swearing episode, I went home and watched some YT videos on the subject.

I drilled a very small "divot" at the end of the crack with a Dremel and a diamond tipped bit. Then used the kit which had a syringe, applicator and an epoxy. I must say, I'm impressed with the results. I can still see the crack, but had I done a better job, I bet I could've gotten it to practically disappear. There will be more opportunities. My goal is to stop the crack from growing. We'll see.

Now that it's been rock-raped, I don't feel as vulnerable to flying boulders. Bring 'em on. I'll keep this windscreen in until it absolutely needs to be replaced.

Sounds like you're in Arizona. I usually replace the windshield on my work car every year due to the chips and cracks.
I was driving on the I10 last week and caught two rocks in the windshield in five minutes.
I've used the DIY kits before and they work very well.

I'm just east of New Orleans, in MS. The I-10 corridor from NO to Mobile, AL is roughly 75 miles thru MS and it's like The Road Warrior out there.

I had a serious crack in my S-10 Blazer. Took it to Safelite and they put in a new windshield for less than $300.

Just about every car in Colorado has a chipped or cracked windshield. I am replacing mine soon.

Chip repairs are great but when the chip is in my field of vision, even professional grade repairs wind up driving me nuts over time.

Back