Budget NGD Incoming

Peen Simmons

Let’s Get Obtuse!
I got paid $150 bones to take a survey/give an interview at a local cultural institution as part of their study to improve patron blah...blah...blah a couple weeks ago.

So I’ve used that dough in a responsibly irresponsible way and purchased a “beater” a/e guitar to make open mics and the like less of a headache.

Bringing my fancipance Martin and then having it mic’ed is not always practical.

So I got a cheapy plug in parlor guitar...

Ibanez-PN12EVMS-3.jpg

I played some of its non-plugin relatives and they weren’t bad sounding or uncomfortable to play. So it’ll be nice to be able to take a more grab and go approach to casual gigs. And I’ll probably use it more than whatever pedal I would have otherwise spent the cash on.

That looks nice. Enjoy!

The problem with a nice guitar is there are places I'd rather not take it. Luckily I have Dreamer and can take her anywhere. :grin:

Give us the rundown once you get it. I really need to get some kind of acoustic, and it would be a parlor. This one might do.

Give us the rundown once you get it. I really need to get some kind of acoustic, and it would be a parlor. This one might do.

Fender also has a $200 solid top parlor that ain’t bad. Had a nice crisp ring to it. No electronics, so it didn’t suit my purposes of easy live use. But I’d look into that. Also, some of the budgety Alvarez parlors I played were very nice for the money as well.

With acoustics, there’s a huge difference between guitars on one side of the $1200ish line and the other. And some of the boutique options are much better than even your production line pro-grade stuff.

But, I’ve found, that in the land of mid-tier and budget acoustics you just kinda have to play a bunch of stuff and find elements you like. You’re not gonna get champagne on a beer budget, but you can find a decent beer for a decent price.

Fender also has a $200 solid top parlor that ain’t bad. Had a nice crisp ring to it. No electronics, so it didn’t suit my purposes of easy live use. But I’d look into that. Also, some of the budgety Alvarez parlors I played were very nice for the money as well.

With acoustics, there’s a huge difference between guitars on one side of the $1200ish line and the other. And some of the boutique options are much better than even your production line pro-grade stuff.

But, I’ve found, that in the land of mid-tier and budget acoustics you just kinda have to play a bunch of stuff and find elements you like. You’re not gonna get champagne on a beer budget, but you can find a decent beer for a decent price.

So what you're saying is, this Ibanez is the Miller High Life of guitars. :embarrassed:

There are a lot of pretty decent small-bodied acoustics coming out of China these days (Ibanez, Alvarez, Recording King, etc.) I've been tempted...

That's not bad. I've been considering a parlor guitar; can't handle a big acoustic anymore. And there ain't no money above the 12th fret anyways.

Congrats! The crowd at Sylvie's isn't going to notice the subtle difference in tone between this and your Martin (or any other high-end acoustic).

Back