Budget 1970s Time Travel Device Sought

Peen Simmons

Let’s Get Obtuse!
I'm working on a project and want the rhythm guitars (think powah chords sliding around and whathaveyou) to suggest 1970s classic rock sounds. This is not native turf for me, just something that'll fit this project. Therefore I'm not gonna get Wamplered for eleventy million bucks. But any of you folks got any recommendations that aren't a used MXR or Rat?

Guitar is Les Paul studio w/ burstbucker pros. Amps will be low wattage affairs...my friend's little Mesa head/cab deal, a couple budget low watt Chinese class a-ish tube deals, maybe some boutique AC30 clone action if necessary. Just looking for a hint of vans with wizards on the sides without delving into my trusty box of overused fuzz machines. Trying to make a record sans the usual muff variant abuse I usually lean on.

Last edited:
There are a couple of mods you can do the the DS-1 that make it more wizard van-ish. They're pretty simple and you can get most of the components from RadioShack.

Just distortion. Plain and simple.

Def, definitely time for Wampler. Yeeeeeah, definitely Wampler. 2:30, yeah, time for Wampler. Definitely time for Wampler.

I want to know what Wampler costs eleventy million dollars? I've always found their stuff reasonable compared to the more boutique-ish stuff out there.

Maybe something from Chicago Stompworks. I have a Violet Rams Muff clone and it beat out all of the other Muffs I had. They have some distortion clones as well.

$200ish for a dirt box is not that reasonable. Better than some of the insane boutique stuff, but not what I need for a one and done tool.

I guess I'm just tired of buying and selling buying and selling buying and selling in order to "get what I need without spending a fortune".

I don't always buy new, but if I know "this is the correct tool" then I save my pennies until I can afford the right one, or at least a used one. It is less stressful in the long run.

Example: Wampler Plexi $130
https://reverb.com/item/1036413-wampler-plexi-drive

I'm totally on board with that for actual rig building, but I'm just looking to put a facade up for recording on a bunch of different gear for something that'll connote 1970s within a mix.

Was just wondering if there's other stuff that says THIN LIZZY/KISS/BAD ZEP COVERS in a box beyond the usual suspects. I'm sure your wampler boxes are great and really love you.

GFS greenie

Three way switch gives you variety, if you find a biyang one, the ic is easily switched out to experiment if you ever get bored with it.

39 dollars or some shit last I checked.

Back