BRPD is Killing Black Folks Too

Should we really all need to go join the police force to keep cops from murdering people, though? Isn't that pretty basic shit that police departments should be handling on their own? That'd be like if the fire department went around burning houses down and said "hey, quit your fucking bitching and become firemen if you want us to stop burning down houses. This job is really hard, so yeah, we're gonna burn some fucking houses down and nobody better say shit about it."

"Police lives matter" is the new "support the troops," because nobody gives a shit about "the troops" anymore.

No one said WE ALL need to join the police force except you while you were missing the entire point. He was addressing those who bitch and protest instead of DOing something about these problems. Feel free to be that group if you want or not.

How the living fuck can so many people miss such an OBVIOUS point? Attitude issues are chronic and rampant around here.

No one said WE ALL need to join the police force except you while you were missing the entire point. He was addressing those who bitch and protest instead of DOing something about these problems. Feel free to be that group if you want or not.

How the living fuck can so many people miss such an OBVIOUS point? Attitude issues are chronic and rampant around here.

Because sometimes the point doesn't fit neatly in the boxes they've already created for people in their minds.

Feel free to be a self-righteous prick and totally miss the OBVIOUS point I was making that "not murdering people" is such a fucking basic thing to ask of police departments that it shouldn't require outside influence at all. When it is pointed out that maybe cops shouldn't be allowed to repeatedly and systematically get away with murder and the response is "oh yeah? If you think it's so easy to go around not murdering people all day, why don't YOU come show us how it's done?" I think a little indignation is in order.

Feel free to be a self-righteous prick and totally miss the OBVIOUS point I was making that "not murdering people" is such a fucking basic thing to ask of police departments that it shouldn't require outside influence at all. When it is pointed out that maybe cops shouldn't be allowed to repeatedly and systematically get away with murder and the response is "oh yeah? If you think it's so easy to go around not murdering people all day, why don't YOU come show us how it's done?" I think a little indignation is in order.

:facepalm:
That's always the issue with ignorance. Those infected by it rarely realize their condition.

Last edited:
3 officers are dead after police tried to confront a man walking down the street with an AR-15. No words were exchanged. He just opened fire.

He was a former marine who was angry about what he saw as the unjust killing of black men by police. He drove in from Kansas. I have to wonder if the media spent as much time reporting some the positives that have come out of all this as the do the negatives, if this could've been avoided.

My daughter was staying at her moms this weekend. Her house is in the area. They were told not to leave, stay inside, and keep the doors locked.

While I'll never condown shooting anyone at least there was some logic to this one. If the Baton Rouge cops shoot someone you don't "settle" the score by shooting cops in Dallas. If I have a beef with Henry I don't solve it by punching Paul Reed Smith.

It's about time everybody settles down and puts their dicks back in their pants. It's time to quit worrying about getting "even". and it's time the cops start learning the solution to every problem on the street is not pull your gun. This idea everything is solved at gunpoint is bullshit. It doesn't solve the problem it only creates another one. I remember when cops used to retire and brag that they put in 25 years on the force and never pulled their gun once.

One more thing, I saw a number that was somewhere around 500 people have been shot by cops so far this year. Only (only?) 135 of them have been black. Most of the rest were white. The issue of trigger happy cops is as much a white issue as a black one. Maybe the solution is the Andy Taylor solution, make all these Barney Fifes carry their bullet in their pocket.

Reactions: OGG
While I'll never condown shooting anyone at least there was some logic to this one. If the Baton Rouge cops shoot someone you don't "settle" the score by shooting cops in Dallas. If I have a beef with Henry I don't solve it by punching Paul Reed Smith.

It's about time everybody settles down and puts their dicks back in their pants. It's time to quit worrying about getting "even". and it's time the cops start learning the solution to every problem on the street is not pull your gun. This idea everything is solved at gunpoint is bullshit. It doesn't solve the problem it only creates another one. I remember when cops used to retire and brag that they put in 25 years on the force and never pulled their gun once.

One more thing, I saw a number that was somewhere around 500 people have been shot by cops so far this year. Only (only?) 135 of them have been black. Most of the rest were white. The issue of trigger happy cops is as much a white issue as a black one. Maybe the solution is the Andy Taylor solution, make all these Barney Fifes carry their bullet in their pocket.

There have been 990 shootings by police officers this year where the victims were killed. Of that, 258 were black, 494 were white. So 26% were black, but only 13% of the US population is black.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

There have been 990 shootings by police officers this year where the victims were killed. Of that, 258 were black, 494 were white. So 26% were black, but only 13% of the US population is black.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

No arguing that the percentages aren't disproportional. Merely commenting that they shoot white people too. When it comes to trigger happy cops white people have a dog in the hunt too. We need to understand this is not just a black vs cop issue. The cops talk about how any encounter the have with people can be dangerous, well wake up people, no matter what color you are any encounter with the police can be the last thing that happens to you.

Black Lives Matter is not exposing a situation that only effects black people. Doing moronic things like petitioning the White House to declare Black Lives Matter a terrorist group like some idiots just did is not the answer, we need to understand this is a real problem. Something needs to be done about this us vs them police attitude and get back to, To Protect And Serve

Also, it should be noted that white parents have to have a talk with their kids regarding how to interact with police too. To be honest, COPS has been on TV for over 25 years. By now everyone has seen it and knows if you run, reach for your ID without them instructing you, or point your car at them, they will shoot you. Actually, I think they should teach people how to act in a felony car stop in grade school. Sometimes it can be a simple case of mistaken identity, but just because you KNOW you are innocent doesn't mean you can survive disobeying their orders.

Also, it should be noted that white parents have to have a talk with their kids regarding how to interact with police too. To be honest, COPS has been on TV for over 25 years. By now everyone has seen it and knows if you run, reach for your ID without them instructing you, or point your car at them, they will shoot you. Actually, I think they should teach people how to act in a felony car stop in grade school. Sometimes it can be a simple case of mistaken identity, but just because you KNOW you are innocent doesn't mean you can survive disobeying their orders.

They should teach how to write a resume and how to manage your personal finances too. But the chances of any of these things happening are a pipe dream.

I had an interesting conversation with friend of mine the other day who is black. He lived in the area in Minnesota where that man was killed. My friend has absolutely no criminal history, and given the way he was raised he would never do anything to break the law. At any rate he told me he was stopped along that stretch of road many times commuting to and from work (at least 4 times a year), for no other purpose than the officer to ask who he was, where he came from, and where he was going. If that's not a violation of civil rights, I don't know what is. He has had similar experiences in other parts of the country as well. He even had a traffic stop for a broken tail light where two officers came up to his car. The one on the drivers side spoke with him and asked for license and registration, and on the passenger side the other cop was near the rear fender with his gun already drawn. In the mean time my friend had his hands in plain sight on the steering wheel and did nothing until instructed to do so. Had he done anything else that day, I don't think he would be around to relate that story.

IMO there needs to be more emphasis on use of non-lethal deterrents and use of deadly force as a last resort. I also think a lot more R&D needs to be done for non-lethal options for use in law enforcement. They are there to uphold the law and apprehend those who break the law to protect the law abiding citizens, they are not fighting an all out war against the lawless, which seems to be the mentality with quite a few police officers.

:facepalm:
That's always the issue with ignorance. Those infected by it rarely realize their condition.

That's always the issue with self-righteous pricks. You can present facts and arguments to them, and they ignore it all and just call you ignorant without refuting any of what you've said, thus demonstrating their own ignorance.

Most of American society has no idea how to interact with police, or even what their rights are. We all know at least the first part of the Miranda warning (thank you, Adam 12), but few people really understand that it applies to you even if you didn't do anything wrong. Any cop being honest will tell you that if you get Mirandized, shut the fuck up and get a lawyer- merely being innocent is no protection from being arrested. I completely agree that Miranda rights and "what to do/what NOT to do if the police approach you" should be taught to ALL kids in school, but the sad fact is that cops rely on this ignorance.

Reactions: OGG
They should teach how to write a resume and how to manage your personal finances too. But the chances of any of these things happening are a pipe dream.

They teach resume writing, job interview skills and personal finance skills in my kid's school. The class was called, of all things, Personal Finance. I was taught these same things in school also about 30+ years ago.

As a side note, my father taught me how to behave in a traffic stop. I'm as white as can be and lived in a predominately white area. The more you know...

Here is a massive problem.

The horrifying fact of the matter is, that the orders being shouted at "suspects", are usually unlawful, confusing, and being given by often multiple officers at the same time and with contradictory commands. A felony hot stop in particular is one where a cop is likely to be in the throws of an adrenaline rush. On his own, this makes him dangerous, in groups, it makes them magnitudes more so. An innocent suspect (say a case of mistaken identity), is going to be at a disadvantage from the start. They will be scared and confused. Many people get angry when they are scared and confused... it's a recipe for disaster that at the end of the day is not the fault of the victim.

Cops are referred to today as "Law enforcement officers". That IS NOT what they are, nor it even remotely what they were chartered to be from the beginning. They are in fact, "Peace officers" as defined and mandated by the Posse Cumatatus act that created their role in society.

The overwhelming majority of cops have little to no actual knowledge of "law". Most do not poses an education in the field. Their training does not include such beyond learning a standard basic understanding of local municipal violations and the obvious major crimes. Rarely do they have a formal understanding of their rights as a police officer, and they generally know much less about the rights of citizens. These guys often think that simply reading a Miranda card waives them of their responsibility to conduct themselves in accordance with the letter of law and the rights of the people as guaranteed by the Bill of Rights.

They are on the street with a barrel of ignorance in one hand a barrel of bullets in the other and it's not really their fault either. Their training is far more about generating revenue than service and protection. That is a fact.

And then you have the brotherhood in blue, an almost unanimous feeling of solidarity with each other above anything else. Again... so dangerous.

That is not to say all, or most cops are "bad". I have many cop friends. It is though absolutely true that local police officers and Sheriff's deputies are woefully under - educated about the most important part of their jobs, and woefully under - trained.

I've said this a million times:

It should be mandatory for people to take the equivalent of just one semester of Junior College level Criminal Justice classes. That tiny introduction alone scares the shit out of people when they realize the reality vs the perception. When they learn that things I pointed out are true, they get very sober, very quick. It can not, NOT change your entire perception of modern "Law enforcement". It is truly terrifying.

We all want to stand up and support cops for doing a thankless and dangerous job for peanuts. Their nobility is not in question as a whole. The system they populate though is wrought with disastrous failings.

Back