BRPD is Killing Black Folks Too

rhino

Kick Henry Jackassowski
It's nice to hear Diane Rehm talking about Baton Rouge, but I wish it was for another reason.

There are videos floating around online if you want to go watch. I wouldn't recommend unless you want to see someone on the ground shot 6 times.

As a Baton Rouge resident and father my thoughts are...

Fuck

He should have complied instead of resisting police. They didn't come guns drawn and followed the steps they were supposed to. Vocal commands (all through out), tasers, physical force, finally lethal force.

It looks really bad that both officers body cameras failed. With a couple family members, that work for emergency service agencies, this is in keeping with the type of shit I've heard talked about their response to such measures.

I'm glad the governor turned it over to the DOJ. Our last guy (who royally screwed us while trying to run for president) was so anti Obama, he would've never done this, but it's the right move. Good job John Bell.

He couldn't legally have a gun, but had one anyway for his own protection. It arguably is what got him killed.

I had a run in with him a year or so ago and never felt threatened. He was always trying to hustle money from people by selling CDs. I told him I wasn't interested, and he got kind of pushy and asked why I didn't want to support local artist. I grabbed the 3 that I have for sale out of my car and told him I'd buy one of his if he'd buy 3 of mine. He laughed, told me I was alright, and walked away.

There was a vigil last night I was unable to go to because the GF had to go the ER again and get some stitches (she really needs to stay home on Wednesdays). After leaving the hospital, she said she was hungry and made me take her to Red Lobster. As what basically amounts to a hipster from South Louisiana, this is not something I normally abide, but she was on morphine and had a rough day so whatever. While waiting for her food, I saw someone leave the restaurant too drunk to drive, and give his keys to his lady friend. I have no problem with this and applaud the guy for not getting behind the wheel.
The problem is he was open carrying. How is this ok? I know it isn't supposed to be, but the reality of the situation is this is reality. That gun at Red Lobster didn't save anybody. If anything it was a liability. I felt more uncomfortable in this situation then when "The CD Man" tried to push his product on me.

As a dad, I get to explain all this to my daughter.

Fuck

She's nine and while there might be plenty of people that say this doesn't need to be explained to a person that young, I've never subscribed to that school of thought. We a good conversation about it last night.

She had heard the terminology "Black Lives Matter" on the radio and such, so it was worth while to give it some context. I hate that these events are the catalyst. That terminology is something she was confused about, because we have a policy in my house where we don't use terms like black or white to describe people. She understands that other people use those other words and that we purposefully don't, but I suppose explaining again is a good thing. If skin color is needed to describe somebody, we say a person with brown skin or peach skin, which to me makes more since because it's more descriptive, doesn't come with the same connotations those other words might have, and reinforces that they are a person first. The kid started saying chocolate or vanilla, which I'm ok with because in her words "everybody likes ice cream."

Failure to Comply should never turn into License to Kill. Period.

I'm glad the DOJ is handling the investigation.

He had prior convictions going back 20 years that meant he shouldn't have had a gun and did anyway.

He was tased twice, didn't go down, and was still combative. He kept fighting.

What should the cops have done?

I watched the video and I can't really reach a conclusion of what happened. I can't see the victim's hands to see if he is reaching for a gun. Hopefully the folks at the DOJ can determine what happened and why it happened, and dispense justice if that is required. I'm more than a little concerned with the militarization of police departments across the country, the seemingly increased use of deadly force in situations that are not appropriate, and the disproportionate shooting of black people.

I watched the video and I can't really reach a conclusion of what happened. I can't see the victim's hands to see if he is reaching for a gun. Hopefully the folks at the DOJ can determine what happened and why it happened, and dispense justice if that is required. I'm more than a little concerned with the militarization of police departments across the country, the seemingly increased use of deadly force in situations that are not appropriate, and the disproportionate shooting of black people.

We were at the fireworks downtown on the levee prior, which tends to have a larger proportion of minority folks. To say the police presence was heavy was an understatement. There was a shooting two years ago, which is the justification. I thought armored personnel carriers and a helicopter shining a light on the crowd was a bit much.

I'm more than a little concerned with the militarization of police departments across the country, the seemingly increased use of deadly force in situations that are not appropriate, and the disproportionate shooting of black people.

me too. makes one consider moving to canada or new zealand or something.

well, shoot him 'till he stops moving is certainly not the right thing to do.

My understanding of the law is you fare much better in court if you empty the clip. I'm not saying it is right, but that is what people are taught.

I'm guessing you saw the same two videos I did—the ones where he's on the ground pinned down by two officers. In at least one of those his left arm is clearly restrained, and the right arm looks like it was being held down by the other cop, but the car is in the way so it's difficult to tell.

That said, I'm still going to go with, "Maybe let's put on our big boy police pants, deal with this annoying struggling motherfucker while we wait for backup, and try not to overreact by emptying a gun into his chest."

They could have started by not shooting him multiple times point blank in the chest. There are options other than a taser and lethal force. Pepper spray, batons, or just shooting somewhere other than directly into the chest. Police are supposed to be professionals and not just freak out and kill people. But that’s not entirely the responsibility of the officers—it’s also up to us, as a society, to demand that police are trained to handle situations like this professionally rather than just killing somebody.

I thought armored personnel carriers and a helicopter shining a light on the crowd was a bit much.

Police tend to put on a show in situations like this because it makes it hard to deny their presence. It’s a trend that started in DC because activists there insisted that police ignored black neighborhoods (which was not remotely true_, so the police chief decided that ever police vehicle in the city would keep its lights on while on patrol.

My understanding of the law is you fare much better in court if you empty the clip. I'm not saying it is right, but that is what people are taught.
you mean like in south carolina where you get shot 16 times in the back?
i guess Sterling is lucky he only got shot 6 times in the chest.

oh....wait.....he's still dead, huh?

He couldn't legally have a gun, but had one anyway for his own protection. It arguably is what got him killed.

I don't know enough about what happened in this case or the other one in Minnesota to address it directly but in a general sense, just having a weapon, legally or illegally, on your person should not be what gets you killed by a police officer.

While waiting for her food, I saw someone leave the restaurant too drunk to drive, and give his keys to his lady friend. I have no problem with this and applaud the guy for not getting behind the wheel.
The problem is he was open carrying. How is this ok? I know it isn't supposed to be, but the reality of the situation is this is reality. That gun at Red Lobster didn't save anybody. If anything it was a liability. I felt more uncomfortable in this situation then when "The CD Man" tried to push his product on me.

Many states have specific restrictions on firearms and alcohol plus also have criminal offenses for possession of a firearm while intoxicated. The handgun may not have been illegal to have in Red Lobster but possessing it while intoxicated probably was. You'd have to look up your state's laws. My pov is firearms and alcohol do not mix, period.

I'm guessing you saw the same two videos I did—the ones where he's on the ground pinned down by two officers. In at least one of those his left arm is clearly restrained, and the right arm looks like it was being held down by the other cop, but the car is in the way so it's difficult to tell.

That said, I'm still going to go with, "Maybe let's put on our big boy police pants, deal with this annoying struggling motherfucker while we wait for backup, and try not to overreact by emptying a gun into his chest."

As you said, it's hard to tell what the other arm was doing. That comes from watching the video a couple times from a comfortable chair where we're in no immediate danger.

They could have started by not shooting him multiple times point blank in the chest. There are options other than a taser and lethal force. Pepper spray, batons, or just shooting somewhere other than directly into the chest. Police are supposed to be professionals and not just freak out and kill people. But that’s not entirely the responsibility of the officers—it’s also up to us, as a society, to demand that police are trained to handle situations like this professionally rather than just killing somebody.

I think you're right and wish it would've happened like that. Sadly, in a city this size, this sort of thing goes on everyday basically unreported. When things go wrong like they did this time, that's when we hear about it.

you mean like in south carolina where you get shot 16 times in the back?
i guess Sterling is lucky he only got shot 6 times in the chest.

oh....wait.....he's still dead, huh?

ok, smart ass. I'm not saying I think it's ok, I was just giving the rationale.

I watched the "second" video (I haven't seen the first) and it didn't look like he had anything in his hands, and it looked like he was pinned down by the officers. Yes he had a gun in his pocket (putting aside conspiracy theories that you can see the cop plant a gun in his pocket immediately in the second video - but I don't buy that) but... I don't know. I wasn't there and I have no training so I can't say for sure but it really looked unnecessary to shoot the guy in the chest six times or whatever it was. Regardless of his criminal history or if he is resisting arrest. I can't say for sure, I wasn't there, but to me it looks like murder.

I'm glad the DOJ is handling the investigation.

He had prior convictions going back 20 years that meant he shouldn't have had a gun and did anyway.

He was tased twice, didn't go down, and was still combative. He kept fighting.

From everything we understand thus far, the gun was in his pocket and he was already on the ground and restrained. If he's got a gun illegally, that's a reason to arrest him, not kill him. But shit like this is the IRL equivalent of South Park's "It's coming right for us!!!!"

Holy fuck, the guy in the car with his fiance and a 4 year old one from Minnesota is fucking awful. Horrifying!

Reactions: Tig
Holy fuck, the guy in the car with his fiance and a 4 year old one from Minnesota is fucking awful. Horrifying!

Yeah that one seems quite a bit more clear that the cop seriously over reacted...

Even the way the cop is speaking/reacting in the video you can sense in his voice that he knew he fucked up.

There is going to be a riot...

:/

Back