Brits aren't good at US geography

Considering it takes what, about 8 hours to drive from York to London?

From the bottom of Michigan (the oven mitt state) to the top takes about 6 hours or so. And that's just one state.

The real question is how many Americans could get all 50 states correct?

Probably not as many as you might think.

Or, how many Americans could get the countries in the UK correct?

Again, probably not as many as you might think.

Plenty of fun humor in some of those, like
Oklahoma = "Texas' Hat"
Alaska = "Palinski"
New England area = "A Dog!"
New Jersey = "Where all the NY sports teams are based",
and of course...
enhanced-buzz-wide-22625-1416925413-7.jpg

The real question is how many Americans could get all 50 states correct?

Probably not as many as you might think.

Or, how many Americans could get the countries in the UK correct?

Again, probably not as many as you might think.
My thoughts exactly. I know I can't get them all right.

I was surprised so many of them got New Mexico right. And then I started seeing the Breaking Bad and meth references. :grin: :facepalm:

Those are awesome maps. I think my favorite has to be the one with the demilitarized zone. I also like the giant anthropomorphized animals imprisoned in a theme park label for Florida. :)

I saw that. I like how some described the geography by the movies and shows that are based on the area. To be fair, the only thing I could label of the UK is Ireland, Scotland and England.

I wonder how many of you American types could pinpoint York on an unmarked map of the UK.
I'll give you a clue. It's in England's largest county. York being the capital of this lush green beautiful Shire.

I know I could find Texas on a U.S. map but I doubt if be able to pinpoint Dallas or Houston or whatever the capital of it is.

We all know where York is from Downton Abbey and Willian Wallace (Mel Gibson) sacking it, but you have a valid point. I'm sure most in the US couldn't point out the location of most large UK cities, other than maybe London, let alone the less populated locations.

We all know where York is from Downton Abbey and Willian Wallace (Mel Gibson) sacking it, but you have a valid point. I'm sure most in the US couldn't point out the location of most large UK cities, other than maybe London, let alone the less populated locations.

I've been to York :)

Me at the top of the York Minster (I'm the one in the middle)

I could pinpoint pretty much any large-ish city in Europe on a blank map. Most of the middle-sized cities too. But then again I'm a map buff. And a history buff.

Nice!
I used to be in the British Army, in The Prince of Wales Own Regiment of Yorkshire. All of 'our' old regimental flags (colours) are hung up there. When the regiment is awarded a new battle honour (Iraq for example) the Queen gives the battalion new colours. So the old one goes to York Minster.

There's sone ancient ones in there, quite interesting too.

I know I could find Texas on a U.S. map but I doubt if be able to pinpoint Dallas or Houston or whatever the capital of it is.

It helps if you've traveled to the country in question.I know some UK cities and regions, but have a much better grip on Spain, France, and Italy since I've actually been to those countries.

As for the capital of Texas, Map 6 nailed it with, "Lots of racism & then there's Austin". :grin:/:facepalm:

^^ Yeah, I agree, traveling there makes a big difference.

I've actually been to York. I gave a seminar at the University a couple of years ago. It is a really nice place and I love that Yorkshire accent.

Last edited:
Considering it takes what, about 8 hours to drive from York to London?

From the bottom of Michigan (the oven mitt state) to the top takes about 6 hours or so. And that's just one state.

About 4 hours according to Google Maps. About 1 hour of that would be getting into the centre of London probably.

At least the DMZ one got Vermont correct! Someone did mention Ben and Jerry's in the general area as well.

Back