Bridge rattle

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I have a forty-year old acoustic that's recently developed a rattle at the bridge. The end pins were in sorry shape so I replace them, it still rattles. So I tried pulling out each string to find the string with the rattling ball and it was the same each time. The saddle is adjustable, but I don't think that’s rattling either. This bridge is old and cracked. Any suggestions on what to check next?

I was afraid of that, and it would make sense given that I just moved from an apartment on a river to Colorado. Can I find the loose brace with a mirror and shim it? I’m not taking this guitar to a luthier, it would cost less to just buy another one on eBay.

You may be able to reach inside and find the loose brace. If it's not a terribly expensive guitar you might want to fix it yourself. Get some glue between the brace and the spot from where it's become detached and hold it place with a piece of wooden dowel wedged gently between the brace and the guitar back. I like Titebond glue, but just about any wood glue will be fine.

Back