Bread!

yabba

Weird Pick Butt Person
I just spent an hour shoveling snow after pulling a couple loaves out of the oven that were made with my first successful attempt at making a sourdough starter from scratch. This is definitely a sign that I've become an old person, but this constitutes a pretty epic Sunday for me.

dyRoyDO.jpg

Looks excellent!

I haven’t tried bread yet. It’s just a matter of time...
It's really not hard. Just a bit of time and patience, which makes it a good project for when you're feeling like being a homebody for a day or two.

Last edited:
Did you culture up your own starter or get into someone else’s?
Ive done the pineapple juice starter a few times with good results.

Those are good lookin' Breads ! I plan to start making breads soon, My mom always made good breads my whole life and then when she died my brother got her old bread book and when he died I got it along with a couple others he had.

Here's the book, it's got hand written notes, batter smears, etc, etc. I remember this book as far back as my first memories of helping mom in the kitchen so probably 1974 or so. pretty sure the book dates from about 1968 when my folks got married.

IMG_0969.jpg
IMG_0970.jpg

I love sourdough, but you can't get any good sourdough in Massachusetts or Maryland, for that matter. It's just white bread with pretensions.

There is a place in Jamestown, RI, that has blueberry sourdough pancakes that have real sourdough flavor.

Did you culture up your own starter or get into someone else’s?
Ive done the pineapple juice starter a few times with good results.
I cultured it up myself, just whole grain rye flour. I was intrigued by the pineapple juice thing; mostly because it sounds like it could have made the process a bit faster, but ended up just going flour and water.

Those are good lookin' Breads ! I plan to start making breads soon, My mom always made good breads my whole life and then when she died my brother got her old bread book and when he died I got it along with a couple others he had.

Here's the book, it's got hand written notes, batter smears, etc, etc. I remember this book as far back as my first memories of helping mom in the kitchen so probably 1974 or so. pretty sure the book dates from about 1968 when my folks got married.

View attachment 38874 View attachment 38875
That newly-acquired dutch oven you mentioned in a recent-ish post will be excellent for baking bread in (these were baked in one)

I love sourdough, but you can't get any good sourdough in Massachusetts or Maryland, for that matter. It's just white bread with pretensions.

There is a place in Jamestown, RI, that has blueberry sourdough pancakes that have real sourdough flavor.
These have a nice depth to the flavor, but they're not very sour at all. Most commercial sourdough is actually artificially "soured", but I'd like just a bit more sourness in these - it's a very young starter, so hopefully it will continue to develop some more flavor over time

Bread making is cool. I'd love to get a starter and try my hand at sourdough.

I cultured it up myself, just whole grain rye flour. I was intrigued by the pineapple juice thing; mostly because it sounds like it could have made the process a bit faster, but ended up just going flour and water.

I usually do the pineapple juice starter. It works nicely

I've got a starter that's a couple of years old now called Eddie (named after the Maiden mascot) . Most of the sourdough loaves I make are not particularly sour at all , I think that's because it's cooler here and that favours the yeasts instead of the lacto etc. Still, it makes a really nice loaf. I still use instant yeast as well for some breads

This one loosely based on pane di altamura, although I used a full sachet of yeast. 2 and a bit hours from mixing to turning off the oven, worked surprisingly well
8Y3nqba.jpg

3yVrRdh.jpg

this one used my sourdough starter and 90% finely ground semolina flour
NiwMlRs.jpg

Ligurian focaccia
EBmGbZq.jpg

sourdough, this one overproofed and collapsed a bit - baked in a dutch oven
XiSUrGa.jpg

another dutch oven sourdough and a scone
pDNwHyw.jpg

I've got a starter that's a couple of years old now called Eddie (named after the Maiden mascot) . Most of the sourdough loaves I make are not particularly sour at all , I think that's because it's cooler here and that favours the yeasts instead of the lacto etc. Still, it makes a really nice loaf. I still use instant yeast as well for some breads

This one loosely based on pane di altamura, although I used a full sachet of yeast. 2 and a bit hours from mixing to turning off the oven, worked surprisingly well
8Y3nqba.jpg

3yVrRdh.jpg

this one used my sourdough starter and 90% finely ground semolina flour
NiwMlRs.jpg

Ligurian focaccia
EBmGbZq.jpg

sourdough, this one overproofed and collapsed a bit - baked in a dutch oven
XiSUrGa.jpg

another dutch oven sourdough and a scone
pDNwHyw.jpg
have you tried any non-pizza bread in that wood oven of yours yet?

Back