Help! Boutique Amps...what exactly are we paying for?

My Traynor Blue 50 fits that bill as well, as did the YCV20 that I sold to Scott Long years ago (RIP). They're the best value I've found yet, though my focus group has been relatively small.

I love the YCV50. I had the Blue 15 watt as well and though it is raved-about, I didn't love it like the 50 (of which I have had 2). Same with the 20...I don't like it much but I love the 40 WR. They are even better with the extension cabinet which adds an entire dimension to the sound. Overall the gain can be a bit fizzy but a decent OD pedal can make them smoother when getting dirty.

My boutique built amp stopped my amp GAS cold in it's tracks. Until I get enough money for a Matchless that is....

One of the best guitar tones I have ever heard was from a Matchless combo about 'on a chair' height in a medium sized auditorium. Fantastic.

Last edited:
Yes, that's a boutique amp.

Think of it this way. It's not a Fender or Marshall, and it's as expensive if not more expensive than their main offerings. Therefore it's boutique. Why are Fender and Marshall not good enough for you?
I got a smoking great deal on the Atomic -under $500. It was lightly used and just sitting around apparently.

Last edited:
I got a smoking great deal on the Atomic -under $500. It was lightly used and just sitting around apparently.

That's awesome. I went looking for one when they were available and couldn't find any. Would have loved to try it out. Ended up with a Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket.

Back