Dig it! Bought a new toy!

Well that escalated quickly.

Yes, The X is considered to be vastly superior to the regular 500.
Yes, this will be used almost exclusively for studio/recording.
Yes, I'll get some really cool tones and eventually get frustrated/overwhelmed and either pack it away or flip it for chump change.
Yes, I got it from Sweetwater demo-priced at $299. Good clean fun for a good value.

And @OGG, the LEDs are mounted underneath the fascia and shine through surrounding the switches.

Reactions: OGG
Seems like it'd be a lot of fun to mess with dialing in different sounds. Probably perfect for the studio I would think. And if nothing else, since you got it from Sweetwater...free candy!

Huh. I never bothered to look that close before. Definitely different switches. No telling if their reliability is any better. I see that in changing the switches, they eliminated the LED indicators on them. Seems like a step backwards.

Sent from Crab Nebulae via reverse engineered alien technology

It looks like the rings around the switches may light up. They are that clearish plastic that usually indicates they light up.

It looks like the rings around the switches may light up. They are that clearish plastic that usually indicates they light up.
Yup. They might actually keep the circuit board from getting soaked with sweat too.

So, perhaps a bit more physically reliable (maybe).

Even so, there's no excuse for the flaming turd build quality of its predecessor. Line 6 TOTALLY had me, and then they completely lost me. Never again. What ever you do (OP) DO NOT JOIN THE LINE 6 FORUM!!! Seriously, they make TGP seem like the happiest, friendliest place on Earth.

I did get some amazing tones out of that thing. I just couldn't rely on it.

This is mine playing to a crowd of thousands at the Del Mar Fair last summer. Yours truly on lead vox and the pitch-shifted bagpipe guitars...

Listen to In a Big Country Live Del Mar 2016 by The Obscure80's #np on #SoundCloud

HNMFXD

I had a HD500 for a while and dug it. You can basically create a global volume control by assigning the amp vol or adding a vol pedal in-line as exp 1 or 2, depending on what you have in the chain for the patch, in each of your patches.

HNMFXD

I had a HD500 for a while and dug it. You can basically create a global volume control by assigning the amp vol or adding a vol pedal in-line as exp 1 or 2, depending on what you have in the chain for the patch, in each of your patches.
That's not a very good workaround though, considering that when the Expression Pedal actually works, it's quite touchy. I used the EP as a Volume Pedal, mainly for lead boost, and usually assigned to the Amp Sim Master Volume. Your patches still need to be in very close output volume to one another, plus, you generally don't want the sweep range to go from 0-100% unless your only goal is to do swells. Still 100% of one patch might be half or twice as loud as the next one, so "Global" is not at all the case. When using it for a boost, I usually set the range from about 70-100%. Again, this only worked well IF the individual patches had the same overall output volume to begin with.

It didn't work at all once the notoriously flawed EP stopped working completely. In my reading today to satisfy my curiosity over the differences and upgrades between the 500 and the 500X, I find that the Expression Pedal is still just as big of a problem as before, as are the switches. Unfortunately, the pretty new switches are more expensive to replace than the old ones. In terms of sound, the increased power is a nice upgrade, but does nothing to solve the myriad volume issues.

I'm not "trying" to shit on the OP's new unit, I'm just relating my experiences with it's predecessor and what I know about the build Quality.

As a Studio tool, I think it offers insane bang for the buck. It can live a long, trouble free life in a studio where virtually all of the editing and controlling of the unit can be done without physically touching it. I have recorded some incredibly amazing stuff with my 500.

Gigging with it was a constant, very bad nightmare. Sure, it sounded great (when it wasn't either way too loud or way too quiet), but the volume struggles and the woefully poor reliability were just too much. I would never gig with one again unless I had an identical unit on stand-by as an emergency back up, and if/when the volume issues were solved. But, no fucking way I would buy two of them just to have to keep repairing one or the other.

Anyway, enjoy it. It really has amazing sounds.

P.S.

Here's the guy I mentioned earlier. He gets some crazy accurate sounds out of his...

Back