Boss Katana - Anyone Tried?

So my neighbor just snagged the 100 watt combo. He hit me up last night saying the amp sounded "muddy." Anyone else hear that? I'm gonna go over tonight and see if I can help him get the sound he is looking for, which is probably early Van Halen, any suggestions?

So my neighbor just snagged the 100 watt combo. He hit me up last night saying the amp sounded "muddy." Anyone else hear that? I'm gonna go over tonight and see if I can help him get the sound he is looking for, which is probably early Van Halen, any suggestions?

I fiddled around with one in GC last week and honestly I was expecting this thing to sound great but honestly, it was a little muddy or at least boxy. Not what I was expecting at all. I tried the 50 and the 100. With all the praise they are getting online I was really expecting this to have nice, thick tone but wasn't the case. Not sure if it is because I didn't take it out of the display or what but I was very surprised but not in a good way. Kind of pissed me off because I was thinking I'd get one to have a lighter option to carry around to my friends house and I love having 3 or 4 things dialed up so I can just play. I may have to try again but yeah, muddy and boxy.

I fiddled around with one in GC last week and honestly I was expecting this thing to sound great but honestly, it was a little muddy or at least boxy. Not what I was expecting at all. I tried the 50 and the 100. With all the praise they are getting online I was really expecting this to have nice, thick tone but wasn't the case. Not sure if it is because I didn't take it out of the display or what but I was very surprised but not in a good way. Kind of pissed me off because I was thinking I'd get one to have a lighter option to carry around to my friends house and I love having 3 or 4 things dialed up so I can just play. I may have to try again but yeah, muddy and boxy.

I heard @Jbird 's Katana at Barnstorm and it sounded great, so I know it can sound really good. I was just wondering if there was some known "muddy sound fix" I could try on his. I have been watching some Anderton's demos and it definitely doesn't sound muddy on those.

I heard @Jbird 's Katana at Barnstorm and it sounded great, so I know it can sound really good. I was just wondering if there was some known "muddy sound fix" I could try on his. I have been watching some Anderton's demos and it definitely doesn't sound muddy on those.

That's why I was perplexed. I've seen a lot of their stuff and seen threads raving about them. Maybe I'm just a dufus.

That's why I was perplexed. I've seen a lot of their stuff and seen threads raving about them. Maybe I'm just a dufus.

Well the Guitar Center showroom isn't the best place in the world to demo gear. I am surprised you could even hear it over the teenagers cranking out of tune guitars with the gain dimed on every other amp in the place.

Well the Guitar Center showroom isn't the best place in the world to demo gear. I am surprised you could even hear it over the teenagers cranking out of tune guitars with the gain dimed on every other amp in the place.

It was a Friday morning so it was pretty empty. But speaking of kids playing, I was there Friday because I had been in the previous Saturday and bought a set of strings and immediately broke a high e. I know, I should have had another set on hand. I actually did but realized that I had already salvaged the high e out of that one.

Anyway, I'm in there on a Saturday and it's pretty crowded. I'm over at the strings and I can here that there are two people jamming together, blues type of stuff, and they sound fantastic. Eventually I go over there and it's two kids that can't be older than 12. They had a pretty decent sized crowd gathered at this point watching them. The best thing was, no one else would play while they were playing.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that amp after you mess with it.

I messed around a bit today with the 50 watt combo. Color me impressed considering I also tried out a Friedman Runt 50 right before and it still sounded good... Yeah.

Also, a Peavey 6505MH through a 2x12 loaded with Greenbacks sounds pretty damn good, too.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

I wouldn't call mine muddy at all. If anything it was a bit icepicky at first, but I expected that from reviews that said the speaker had to break in to lose some of that trebley top end.

I took my blue tele over this afternoon and I thought it sounded great. I ran through the presets and they were pretty good. The clean was a little too wet with delay (I know, if I am saying that then you know it is too much :grin:) but over all it was pretty good. I was able to dial in a setting on the brown channel that he loved, so all is well.

Other guitarist in my band has the 100 watt combo... yup, boxy and muddy. I'm relatively new in the band so I haven't offered to help him dial it in. From what I've seen there are great tones in there but you have to find them.

Other guitarist in my band has the 100 watt combo... yup, boxy and muddy. I'm relatively new in the band so I haven't offered to help him dial it in. From what I've seen there are great tones in there but you have to find them.

I sent my neighbor a YouTube video of Anderson’s demoing it and he wrote down their settings. That is what we tried and he loved it.

I took my blue tele over this afternoon and I thought it sounded great. I ran through the presets and they were pretty good. The clean was a little too wet with delay (I know, if I am saying that then you know it is too much :grin:) but over all it was pretty good. I was able to dial in a setting on the brown channel that he loved, so all is well.

I couldn't stand it so I went back to the store to play it again. Took a little time to dial it in a little and liked it a lot better. I also gave it a bit more volume which helped a lot. I feel better now. I thought I was only dufus who didn't get it. I think I'm going a different route for a portable solution but definitely a great way to go in the $200 category.

Back