Boss Katana - Anyone Tried?

Solid-state amps react linearly to their speaker load. If you double the speaker impedance, the output will halve, and vice versa.

The Katana head will be...
  • 100 watts RMS into an 8-ohm speaker load
  • ~50-60 watts RMW into a 16-ohm speaker load ( the manual may give an exact number)
You CANNOT go below 8 ohms, if you were to hook up a 4-ohm load, the Katana would try to output 200 watts RMS and may fry itself.

Im considering pulling the trigger on one of these. This or perhaps another sampling combo.

Would you gig with it? Assuming a sound guy and micing the amp through the PA.

Im considering pulling the trigger on one of these. This or perhaps another sampling combo.

Would you gig with it? Assuming a sound guy and micing the amp through the PA.
@atrox has the Katana head as the backup for his Friedman Brown Eye. He's gigged with it.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Perfect for a bedroom practice amp. :grin:

Yeah - I know I'll catch shit from the tube sniffers. Currently playing through my Peavy Classic 30 head and I'm having volume problems.

When I use the foot switch to play through the clean and dirty channel - I can balance out the volume. Then randomly when I switch to the clean channel it's as if the volume gets turned up and is way to loud. There are songs I'll be doing switching back and forth.

I really don't feel like troubleshooting at this point in time. All the tubes are glowing but I haven't pulled any - who knows?

So - yes - gigging with the combo solid state amp may have other guitar enthusiasts upset, but the ability to switch through different settings is a plus for what I'll be doing.

Yeah - I know I'll catch shit from the tube sniffers. Currently playing through my Peavy Classic 30 head and I'm having volume problems.

When I use the foot switch to play through the clean and dirty channel - I can balance out the volume. Then randomly when I switch to the clean channel it's as if the volume gets turned up and is way to loud. There are songs I'll be doing switching back and forth.

I really don't feel like troubleshooting at this point in time. All the tubes are glowing but I haven't pulled any - who knows?

So - yes - gigging with the combo solid state amp may have other guitar enthusiasts upset, but the ability to switch through different settings is a plus for what I'll be doing.

I'd just throw a dirt pedal in front of the classic and not channel switch. no point in having 2 amps. I am interested in how you like it. My neighbor is looking for an amp for his son and this may be a good one for him. I'm a simpleton anything more than a few knobs on an amp confuses me but he is a teenager and may love having all of that stuff at his finger tips.

It's new amp time! But then, it's ALWAYS new amp time!

party0

I'd just throw a dirt pedal in front of the classic and not channel switch. no point in having 2 amps. I am interested in how you like it. My neighbor is looking for an amp for his son and this may be a good one for him. I'm a simpleton anything more than a few knobs on an amp confuses me but he is a teenager and may love having all of that stuff at his finger tips.

Yes. As Im going through these songs and getting ready for the wedding and private party gig, I am already thinking about my pedal layout. I will more than likely use my OCD Overdive pedal to get some dirt. I always liked the way it slightly cleans up when you roll of the volume for rythm playing. I will also use my current Digitech Synth Wah for auto wah until I get a better autowah pedal. Also thinking about picking up an acoustic simulator for a song or two that is on the list. They are all wireless so thats probably on the radar too.

I just got back from the Kalamazoo Guitar Center and I jammed on the Boss Katana 100w 1x12" for a bit.

I must say I'm really impressed. I was getting some really nice tones out of it, and that was just messing around with the basic presets, on a really cheap and shitty guitar they had sitting there.

I've seen people on youtube saying it's not an amp for metal players, but I was getting good '80s metal tones on just the lead channel with the gain maybe half-way and no boost. I was getting a killer Iced Earth tone from the 'Brown' channel, again the gain at 12 o'clock and no boost.

I was thinking of buying it right then and there, but as I was playing, some guy in his early 20s came in and told the sales guy "I want to buy that amp" and the one I was playing was the only 100w amp they had. So I snoozed and loosed (lost :lol: ).

I guess I'll order one from Sweetwater. My only dilemma is: 100w 1x12", the 100w 2x12", or the 100w head? If I get the head, the only speaker cabinet I own is a 2x12" @4 ohms, I couldn't use that cab with that head :(

Unless you want to change the speakers.
Actually, I'd like to have the cab rewired so it's a 16 ohm cab. So many amp manufacturers have switches on their amps for 8 & 16 ohms, very few have a setting for 4 ohms. Why is that, I wonder?

Actually, I'd like to have the cab rewired so it's a 16 ohm cab. So many amp manufacturers have switches on their amps for 8 & 16 ohms, very few have a setting for 4 ohms. Why is that, I wonder?

16 Ohm is sort of the "O-negative" of cabs!

No idea why.

I have a Peavy that has jacks for 4 and 2 ohms.

Rewiring would be easy enough, doesn't help with the Boss though.

I guess I'll go get the 1x12"

It should be enough for jamming with my buddy. I mean, how often do I play live on stage, anyways (though I could've opened for Avatar a few months ago with my buddy's band. I told him no because I hadn't practiced with them/train wreck :embarrassed: )

Most guitar speakers aren't made at 4 ohms

Back