Boss be cray cray

OGG's right about guitar culture: about as adventurous as the Topeka Lions Club. I have a feeling that within 10 years, we're going to see a big swing to digital. It's getting too good; it's too convenient; it's vastly more affordable.

Which, looking at that $2,999, makes you wonder what the heck they're thinking. The Waza line is nice, but ... $1k more than a Kemper or Fractal? The new BIAS Head is going to be another step forward, and they're hustling to keep MSRP near $1,400.

To be fair, I am also not jazzed about the new Earth Quaker Devices head coming in at $1850. Which would be a perfect amp for me, but not at that price. 25 watt all tube, single channel, volume, treble, and bass.

eqd.jpg

I'm fairly certain that once my current project gets into live mode, I will seriously consider a solid state amp for gigging. I like pedals and don't like taking amps to the shop. And my tube tone tastes are leaning toward the Marshall side of things and I don't need all that volume or the risk of back injuries.

I prefer tubes. It can't be denied that they have a "sound" and it's a sound I like. That said, who's to say this thing won't be seen as the Holy Grail of signal processing flexibility? That on it's own might be what makes it THE thing for the gigging musician. But, as others have pointed out, it IS a bit pricey for the average bear. Tube snobbery aside, I think that's its only real sales impediment for it.

Has Boss said anything about parts and build quality of these heads? If it’s comparable to the Roland Jazz Chorus that might explain the high price. Of course, if you can afford this amp, you can afford a high-end road case for amps that cost significantly less.

I get that they are going for the high end single processing programmable amp market, but it seems limiting with 4 channels and a limited number of tone capsule modules...at least compared to something like a fractal audio Axe FX and a powered speaker cabinet where full midi and an ass load of models and effects are available.

When it gets super cheap on the SDOTD, I'll think it over.

Tone capsules probably seem like even more of a ripoff when you’re paying $200+ apiece to use them with a $3000 amp.

I know the thread is about the Boss rack item (which is really what it is -- good luck to them with that and etc.).

My interest is in wondering what's going to happen when a respected mfr. like Focusrite comes out with an amp head a lot like the BIAS head (linky: https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-head/) for about the same price as a DRRI. Because to answer Smurfco, there's nothing wrong with a DRRI ... until you can have something equally as sonically pleasing, for the same price, that weighs less and let's you swap your pedalboard for an iPad or iPhone with greatly expanded capabilities and easier management.

At that point, it will be all about guitar culture, not guitar gear. And that day is coming much sooner than some think.

My interest is in wondering what's going to happen when a respected mfr. like Focusrite comes out with an amp head a lot like the BIAS head (linky: https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-head/) for about the same price as a DRRI. Because to answer Smurfco, there's nothing wrong with a DRRI ... until you can have something equally as sonically pleasing, for the same price, that weighs less and let's you swap your pedalboard for an iPad or iPhone with greatly expanded capabilities and easier management.

The BIAS head will run into the same problem modeling gear always does—plenty of musicians don’t want to mess around with a phone or computer just to play guitar. Plenty of musicians don’t even want to deal with complex amps, which is why Mesa had to make a simpler version of the Rectifier, why Diezel amps are niche gear even among wealthy players, and why Orange sold over 30,000 Tiny Terror heads.

I don’t mean to say that the BIAS head won’t sell. I expect it to be a huge success and start a price war in the high-end modeling market. But there will always be a market for simple amps.

I know the thread is about the Boss rack item (which is really what it is -- good luck to them with that and etc.).

At that point, it will be all about guitar culture, not guitar gear. And that day is coming much sooner than some think.

I'm sure the BIAS head will have a market, but I like things simple. An amp with a few knobs and a couple of pedals with a few knobs each. I've found when I have too many options I spend more time punching through settings than actually playing. A while back I was ampless so I plugged into my Mac and played through garage band. I spent way too much time dicking with the different amps and pedals so I ended up just playing unplugged.

I think that used to be true -- but things change. Things always change, even guitar culture. As for people "not wanting to mess around on their phones," I think that's age related. My students literally do everything with their phones - it's their comfort zone.

I'm pretty certain that within a few years, we'll start seeing very nice .... modeling heads? .... be priced like a DRRI, sound just as nice, and the markets going to really shift.

Back