Boring NPD

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
It works pretty well. I need it for my school performance tomorrow night where I'm playing a highly effected strat single coil sound in a room where you can hear a pin drop between notes.

17498558_10155188067187425_827882506234116679_n.jpg

I always wondered if those actually work. If they put this and a de-esser into one pedal it would be a license to print money.

I always wondered if those actually work. If they put this and a de-esser into one pedal it would be a license to print money.
Yeah. Its not perfect and you can hear a little loss of signal when its in but honestly no one will give a shit when I'm playing fake crazy sounding middle eastern shit (in 5/4) on a strat bridge pickup through dirt, delay and phaser pedals tomorrow night.

If you're interested, a guy in the TDPRI forum turned me into a pickup maker from Vermont that makes true SC that are very quiet. I'm probably, at some point going to swap out my Tele pups with something from him. The stock ones are horrendously noisy. Lemme go find his info....
http://www.kentarmstrong.com/

Yeah. Its not perfect and you can hear a little loss of signal when its in but honestly no one will give a shit when I'm playing fake crazy sounding middle eastern shit (in 5/4) on a strat bridge pickup through dirt, delay and phaser pedals tomorrow night.
Mojo...

I had one a while back. They work as advertised. The hum is gone. It did alter the tone a little though. It added a metallic overtone to your sound if that makes any sense.

If you're interested, a guy in the TDPRI forum turned me into a pickup maker from Vermont that makes true SC that are very quiet. I'm probably, at some point going to swap out my Tele pups with something from him. The stock ones are horrendously noisy. Lemme go find his info....
I use Kinmans in a few of my guitars but this one strat isn't getting changed. It sounds too good as is.

I had one a while back. They work as advertised. The hum is gone. It did alter the tone a little though. It added a metallic overtone to your sound if that makes any sense.
Mine doesn't seem to do that but it does knock the signal down a small amount.

Eastman uses his stuff in some of their guitars. Buckets, though, of course.

Didn't you just recently say you'd never use one of those?
No. I refuse to use noise gates. This seems to get the job done without too much fuckery. And honestly if noise is a big enough issue to use this thing then I can live with a little signal loss. My amp still has bass and treble controls :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So, does it do the trick?

And what's the street price?
It does 98% of the trick. There is a small
Amount of noise still coming through but it tames things quite a bit. I think it was $120

Reactions: OGG
It does 98% of the trick. There is a small
Amount of noise still coming through but it tames things quite a bit. I think it was $120

I might need to look into one. For as much as I love my white strat, the noise is pretty bad, and the gate only helps some of the time.

That would require me removing the guts from the cavity. Such an endeavor undertaken by a person of my limited fine motor skills and clumsy knack for blowing things up would surely be a fools errand.

:spit:

Cheaper than a pedal. Just more grunt work. Besides if you are changing guts, that would be a good time to Get'r done!

Back