Book jam - what you all reading?

41man3V-87L._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Paris: The Biography of a City by Colin Jones

Not bad. A little dry. Not as good as the similar book I read about London.

A little something I haven't read in 35 years.
It is more relevant than ever.
orwell_1984.jpeg
A few years ago I decided to go back and read many of the required reading books from high school. This one was on the list. Seriously good book and it's a pretty easy read.
I also read some Hemingway (For Whom the Nell Tolls), Animal Farm and several others.

Reactions: Tig
23524779.jpg

I'm about 10% into this, and it's intriguing, so far.

Think maybe Frederick The Great era technology, possibly even earlier (30 Years War?) with wizards, but the story line is more along the lines of All Quiet On The Western Front, with a female lead character fighting at the front since the war has dragged on and on and men of fighting age are getting scarcer.

The authors books have pretty good reviews on amazon and other sites, one of the reasons I decided to try it. He even won an Arthur C. Clarke Award for his book Children Of Time.

It might be something @Flamencology and some of you others might want to look into idn_smilie

edit: I'm just over 1/3 through now, and this is a really good book so far. I'd say it's more like Pride And Prejudice- meets -All Quiet On The Western Front, as the main character, Emily, comes from an upper class family complete with family manor, servants, etc. Then a long drawn-out war (like WWI) has the women being drafted.

She's gone through a very quick training camp along with the other first draft of women soldiers, and is now at the front and experienced her first skirmish, where the book started off in chapter 1.

If the middle and ending of this book are anything like the first 1/3, (and viewing reader reviews on amazon/goodreads, etc. it is) I recommend this if you guys are looking for a good fiction book to read :)

Last edited:
My commute has significantly upped my reading. My last few...

George RR Martin - A Clash Of Kings (the books are better than the TV series)
Paul Collins - The Murder of the Century. Very interesting read that could be a really good movie.
Stephan A. Kirkjian - Master Thieves: The Boston Gangsters Who Pulled Off the World’s Greatest Art Heist

Currently reading....

Douglas Preston & Lincoln Childs - Thunderhead

I decided to branch out from my almost universal diet of science fiction and try some different things. I've started "Tropic of Cancer", and it has been pretty slow going. I can't say that I don't enjoy it, but the writing style just doesn't seem to grab me. Any comments on this novel? Stick with it?

Just finished 12 Years a Slave.

Fuck man. Fuck.

Now starting a ridiculous vampire book (Anne Rice), though I can't remember which one.

Back